One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
User avatar
simbathedog1
Puppy
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:43 pm
Tell us about yourself: Adopted a young adult male Dutch Shepherd from the local animal shelter 5 months ago. Also have a smaller Australian Shepherd/Corgi mixed breed dog.

One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by simbathedog1 »

What is one word you would use to describe your Dutch Shepherd? I can think of about a thousand, but let's keep it to one word at a time. Post as many times as you like. My first word may be a bit surprising but here goes....

SENSITIVE :P
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by johninny »

--- EGO ---
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Stacy_R »

noisy
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie is Mashugana and Thalie is .....well.... dignified.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Raven »

WTH? Fun question but WTH? Can the one word be hyphenated? Like with a thousand hyphens? No? I'm out.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Raven »

Sadie has issues. That's aaaaalllll I'm sayin'.

Poor Thalie.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Karin
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Karin »

Jerk!
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Karin
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Karin »

Sweetsnugglybug (okay, only at 5:30 in the morning)
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Karin
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Karin »

powerful...okay I'm done for now.
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by LyonsFamily »

Odin: Caffeinated, obviously
Elli: Tramp We call her a non-PG version of this at home. It may sound horrible, but I mean it in the most enduring way. She throws her body at every dog and human just looking for attention and then waves her lady parts around. One time when the setter's were over, Odin was chewing a bone and not paying attention to her so she rolled over and enticed Winston to play. When Odin paid attention to that she continued to tease them both by rolling back and forth and petting their faces.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Travis
Puppy
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 pm
Tell us about yourself: 1 rescue dutch shepherd
1 retired malinois (now passed)
1 pomeranian (yaps incessantly)
New micro-Dutchie addition

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Travis »

Insane
Travis -> human (of questionable sanity)
Doggies:
  • 1 senior NADSR rescue dutch shepherd
    1 pocket Dutchie tennis ball addict
    1 geriatric pomeranian (yaps incessantly)
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by icvanstra »

Fun - definitely fun
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Yes, Sadie has issues LOL, Thalie just rolls her eyes and walks away.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
racingiron1
Green Dog
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:35 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by racingiron1 »

Needy
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Stacy_R »

racingiron1 wrote:Needy
Well, we now have two of the 3 N's....Noisy and Needy...
Now we just need Nosy... :D
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oh Sadie is Nosey all right. As soon as you sit down or get to her level that is the open door for her nose to be in your face! She sticks her nose in everything and has to check everything and every place !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Stacy_R »

Dutchringgirl wrote:oh Sadie is Nosey all right. As soon as you sit down or get to her level that is the open door for her nose to be in your face! She sticks her nose in everything and has to check everything and every place !

LOL Ditto that for Tyson... And he is definitely all 3... In this order: Noisy, Nosy, Needy...LOL
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
ThatSaltyDog
Just Whelped
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:28 am
Tell us about yourself: My name's Deanna and I am a 24 year old artist living it up in New England. I also wait tables and chill out with my pets.
My Dutch Shepherd(mix) is named Atticus and my Dachshund is Scout. (Kudos to anyone catching the reference!)
Location: CT

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by ThatSaltyDog »

Well, assuming Atticus actually even IS a DS, I would have to go wiiiiith....

Inquisitive!

But also affectionate....

...Can't forget about mischievous...

Gah, I can't pick just one! :lol:
Doggy mama to...
Atticus (Dutch Shepherd/ChowChow)
Scout (Dachshund)
Kitty mama to...
Skimble & Bootstrap
Ferret mama to...
Hopper Jack & Sherlock
Tomoe
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: First dutchie, GSD previouslyi

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Tomoe »

For Tomo who is 9months or so now, Pistol...good tool to have, but always handle with care and point in safe direction
Suka who is about a year now, and polar opposite of Tomo, I would say tranqauility. She evened out the pack and has a stability that helps even the keel, her crazy side is Tomo on Valium.
User avatar
Starlight Pilot
Puppy
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:47 am
Tell us about yourself: I used top be terrified of dogs as a kid. But I met a German Shepherd named Sheba and have been into dogs since I was 12, now I'm 32 and have successfully handled many of all sizes, breeds and temperaments. I titled my first dog Sport, a mixed breed, in agility and then got into schutzhund. I got to work with working bred GSDs and loved them. After Sport died I was offered a young Dutch Shepherd named Allie (short for alligator!). I adopted her and fell in love with the breed. I rescued several Dutchies after that and then Allie was killed tragically by irresponsible veterinary staff. About 4 months later I rescued a pathetic emaciated 1 yr old Dutchie named "Phantom". With just some food, water and love he sprang from his listless phantom self and I named him Logan. Now he is my 8 yr old hardcore PITA!!!! :D
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: One word to describe your Dutch Shepherd....?

Post by Starlight Pilot »

***hole!!! :mrgreen:
Post Reply