New Member Completely Lost
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
New Member Completely Lost
My name is Karen. I am new to this and have never been on a forum before. I'm completely lost and have no idea how to navigate around. I don't even understand what a signature is exactly. I have an 8 month old dutch shepherd, Xander. I tried to attach his picture but it says the files are to big. Can anyone give me some pointers on how this works....signature, where to ask questions, etc... Thanks
Karen & Xander
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: New Member Completely Lost
I think I figured out how to add a picture. Hope it worked.
- Attachments
-
- 2014-02-21 12.54.07.png (476.18 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Karen & Xander
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: New Member Completely Lost
Hello Karen,
Welcome to the forum. I know that when you first visit the forum, things can be a little intimidating, but after a day or so, you will have it well down pat.
When you first log on, you see a whole lot of topics. Each topic has a brief description of the types of threads that you will find in that area. For instance, you posted in the "Whatever" section - which is kind of a catch all. I moved it to "New Member Announcements" where most people post their introductions. In that area, you will find a post titled "Welcome New Members" and it has some valuable information including rules. Additionally, if you visit the "Announcements" area, you will find more topics at the top on how to post a signature, photo and avatar (picture to represent you!). Anytime you see a topic or thread with a weird keyhole shaped image to the left, instead of the normal red or blue circle, that is called a "Sticky" and it was put there to stay at the top because it has important information that we want people to easily find. Topics are listed in the order that they are posted - newest on top. If you read all of the messages in the topic, then the red circle turns blue. Play around with moving into and out of the different "Rooms" and topics. You can also explore the links at the top left "View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics." Everyone finds their own way to navigate the forum. For me it used to be a personal challenge to make all of my circles blue. Now I have given up
Oh yeah, and to insert one of the cute graphics to the right, just click on it while you type a message! So sit back, grab a
and enjoy!
BTW - Xander is absolutely stunning. Can you tell us about him? Where did you get him from? What are your plans with him? Competition or active companion?
Welcome to the forum. I know that when you first visit the forum, things can be a little intimidating, but after a day or so, you will have it well down pat.
When you first log on, you see a whole lot of topics. Each topic has a brief description of the types of threads that you will find in that area. For instance, you posted in the "Whatever" section - which is kind of a catch all. I moved it to "New Member Announcements" where most people post their introductions. In that area, you will find a post titled "Welcome New Members" and it has some valuable information including rules. Additionally, if you visit the "Announcements" area, you will find more topics at the top on how to post a signature, photo and avatar (picture to represent you!). Anytime you see a topic or thread with a weird keyhole shaped image to the left, instead of the normal red or blue circle, that is called a "Sticky" and it was put there to stay at the top because it has important information that we want people to easily find. Topics are listed in the order that they are posted - newest on top. If you read all of the messages in the topic, then the red circle turns blue. Play around with moving into and out of the different "Rooms" and topics. You can also explore the links at the top left "View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics." Everyone finds their own way to navigate the forum. For me it used to be a personal challenge to make all of my circles blue. Now I have given up
Oh yeah, and to insert one of the cute graphics to the right, just click on it while you type a message! So sit back, grab a
BTW - Xander is absolutely stunning. Can you tell us about him? Where did you get him from? What are your plans with him? Competition or active companion?
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: New Member Completely Lost
I got Xander from Vandalia Kennel in West Virginia. He is my second ds. I do not compete, he is just my playmate. I fell in love with dutch shepherds through working around them with the police department. I just wanted an energetic smart dog to have fun with. I have no intentions on competing in the future but would love to learn more about training just for fun and to help Xander have a fun time. I have had several questions during the last couple months and was looking for advice and people who love the breed as much as I do. I added a couple more photos.
- Attachments
-
- 2014-02-21 15.04.24.png (475.47 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
-
- 2014-02-21 14.31.42.png (511.72 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
-
- 2014-02-21 15.03.27.png (397.9 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
Karen & Xander
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: New Member Completely Lost
If you are on Facebook, look up Minette Boyd. She has a DS from Vidalia that has longer fur as well. She does all kinds of fun stuff with Fury. I am sure she would love to compare stories and would be another good asset for advice, in addition to this forum!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: New Member Completely Lost
Thanks. I will look her up. So glad someone finally posted something. I didn't know if I had done something incorrectly in the posting process. Lol. Very new to all this. Thanks
Karen & Xander
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: New Member Completely Lost
welcome and I am glad you are finding your way around. She is so beautiful. I used to compete in Ring sport but now have them just for fun. I would have done something with my younger DS but with her bad hips, I just play with her and let her have fun as she wishes [ and that includes some bad stuff ]
They are a hoot and provide many hours of goofyness and joy and
Keep clicking around and you will get the hang of it.
They are a hoot and provide many hours of goofyness and joy and
Keep clicking around and you will get the hang of it.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: New Member Completely Lost
welcome! Where in NC are you? I think there are a couple of us on here. 
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: New Member Completely Lost
Dutchringgirl: I know what you mean. Xander does bad stuff too. But he has fun doing it. Thanks for the wecome.
StacyR: I am from wayne county, goldsboro. Its a small town.
StacyR: I am from wayne county, goldsboro. Its a small town.
Karen & Xander
- Revhendo
- Green Dog
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....
Kevin
Re: New Member Completely Lost
Xander is a very handsome young man. And a very fine coat indeed. Glad you're finding your way around here.
Alas, I don't think I'll ever get all of my rings blue. I have fallen way behind.
Alas, I don't think I'll ever get all of my rings blue. I have fallen way behind.
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: New Member Completely Lost
Thanks Revhendo. I love his coat even though I guess a longer coat is not ideal or is unusual. I don't care, it's one of my favorite things about him.
Karen & Xander


Facebook page.