Jerry Lee's road to health!
- Owned-By-Hendrix
- Training Dog
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
- Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
- Ben_jamin
- Puppy
- Posts: 38
- Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:48 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Ben. I've been a dog lover for my entire life. I currently own a GSD (Hopper) and a Boxer (Phoebe). They are my kids and best friends.
As far as DS's go, I've never owned one and this is the reason I'm here. I'm looking to learn more about the breed since I'm thinking of adding one to my family.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
That's simply awesome!!! I'm so glad that a great dog found such a loving and devoted owner. You are making a true friend for life in Jerry.
Ben, Ginny & Phoebe.
Hopper - Waiting patiently at the bridge.
Hopper - Waiting patiently at the bridge.
- JerryLeeK9
- Puppy
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 pm
- Tell us about yourself: First time shepherd rescue who has wanted a pure shepherd since I was a kid. Now that I have the finances and space for it I took the plunge and I think I may have ended up with a part Dutchie! As soon as I met him my reserves for a pure GSD went out the window
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Thanks for all the kind wishes and words! After all this I am REALLY excited to let him get his romp on and dive into some more advanced training. About 2 1/2 weeks left but its starting to go by faster now that I don't crate him at night.
He doesn't whine as much in the kennel either and I assume its because he knows the routine and more importantly, knows I'm here to stay and will always come back. He is definitely my shadow and is proving to be a serious snug bug. He so badly wants to go play in the snow. Maybe we'll get one last storm in two weeks (I know almost no one wants that on the east haha) and then he'll get his chance to romp free.
He doesn't whine as much in the kennel either and I assume its because he knows the routine and more importantly, knows I'm here to stay and will always come back. He is definitely my shadow and is proving to be a serious snug bug. He so badly wants to go play in the snow. Maybe we'll get one last storm in two weeks (I know almost no one wants that on the east haha) and then he'll get his chance to romp free.
- JerryLeeK9
- Puppy
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 pm
- Tell us about yourself: First time shepherd rescue who has wanted a pure shepherd since I was a kid. Now that I have the finances and space for it I took the plunge and I think I may have ended up with a part Dutchie! As soon as I met him my reserves for a pure GSD went out the window
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
1.5 weeks left!
I got our fence all fixed up and let JL walk around the back yard a little this weekend. No shocker that he just followed me around as if he were on a leash. He has 4 commands down pretty well; kennel, sit, wait and platz (down... as if you guys didnt know that) I am using some German commands, some English ('Merican) and may work in a Dutch command here or there. I see it fitting for his heritage.
You can see he listens pretty well as one pic is from a "platz, wait"... and I can pretty much walk all over the yard until I give a click.
he has also figured out how to unlock his wire crate from the inside! He gets the bottom latch undone and pries out of the bottom half. Anyone ever heard of that? Now I have to tie the bottom latch down so he can't flip it up and over. Too smart!
I got our fence all fixed up and let JL walk around the back yard a little this weekend. No shocker that he just followed me around as if he were on a leash. He has 4 commands down pretty well; kennel, sit, wait and platz (down... as if you guys didnt know that) I am using some German commands, some English ('Merican) and may work in a Dutch command here or there. I see it fitting for his heritage.
You can see he listens pretty well as one pic is from a "platz, wait"... and I can pretty much walk all over the yard until I give a click.
he has also figured out how to unlock his wire crate from the inside! He gets the bottom latch undone and pries out of the bottom half. Anyone ever heard of that? Now I have to tie the bottom latch down so he can't flip it up and over. Too smart!
- Attachments
-
- JL17.jpg (156.65 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
-
- JL16.jpg (168.81 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
-
- JL14.jpg (57.2 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Love this dog....
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
he definitely scored when he got you !!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Sharon, you are stealing my line for JLee. ''love this dog.''
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
It's a good thing the act of plagiarism doesn't have merit in regard to sentiment.johninny wrote:Sharon, you are stealing my line for JLee. ''love this dog.''
Too bad Jerry Lee doesn't know all the fans that he's garnered here. (Then again, who's to say that it hasn't transferred down (up?) the lead...from owner-member to Jerry?)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
What an awesome thread that tells a great story!!
I can't wait to see him acting like a crazy dog as well. What great timing too! He got to hybernate while the weather was crappy and gets to earn his freedom as it is warming up!!
Per brushes - I am a DIE HARD furminator fan for the Dutch and GSD. Especially when they are blowing coat. It does an awesome job of getting that undercoat out. Also, never under estimate the value of a good bath and blow out with a groomers high velocity dryer. It really gets down to the skin and helps loosen up those hairs that want to stick around....making them shed bad for months.
I can't wait to see him acting like a crazy dog as well. What great timing too! He got to hybernate while the weather was crappy and gets to earn his freedom as it is warming up!!
Per brushes - I am a DIE HARD furminator fan for the Dutch and GSD. Especially when they are blowing coat. It does an awesome job of getting that undercoat out. Also, never under estimate the value of a good bath and blow out with a groomers high velocity dryer. It really gets down to the skin and helps loosen up those hairs that want to stick around....making them shed bad for months.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- JerryLeeK9
- Puppy
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 pm
- Tell us about yourself: First time shepherd rescue who has wanted a pure shepherd since I was a kid. Now that I have the finances and space for it I took the plunge and I think I may have ended up with a part Dutchie! As soon as I met him my reserves for a pure GSD went out the window
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Thanks for stopping by guys and thanks for the brush tips! JL has less than ONE WEEK to full on play/exercise freedom!!
On another note, I have relieved him of all of his daytime kennel requirements. Turns out, he knows how to undo a knot too! The little booger undid my knot and unlatched his kennel again. Probably spent the whole day on the couch in the sun room and got into ZERO trouble while out so I said hey, you win. No more locking him up and he has been fine and dandy for the first 3 days.
He sees his new doctor today (I changed vets from the rescue to be closer to them). They have seen pics and I know they are going to love him. He will start his monthly HW around the 5th-6th of March.
Here he is in his favorite spot (he ALWAYS rests his head on a pillow. JL... the human)
On another note, I have relieved him of all of his daytime kennel requirements. Turns out, he knows how to undo a knot too! The little booger undid my knot and unlatched his kennel again. Probably spent the whole day on the couch in the sun room and got into ZERO trouble while out so I said hey, you win. No more locking him up and he has been fine and dandy for the first 3 days.
He sees his new doctor today (I changed vets from the rescue to be closer to them). They have seen pics and I know they are going to love him. He will start his monthly HW around the 5th-6th of March.
Here he is in his favorite spot (he ALWAYS rests his head on a pillow. JL... the human)
- Attachments
-
- JL15.jpg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
-
- JL14.jpg (57.2 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Ditto that! I actually drive an hour to a place that specializes in double-coated breeds. When they blow him out, it is A-MAZING!! I like the Zoom-Groom, too. It's like a doggie massage.Christie M wrote:Also, never under estimate the value of a good bath and blow out with a groomers high velocity dryer. It really gets down to the skin and helps loosen up those hairs that want to stick around....making them shed bad for months.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
- JerryLeeK9
- Puppy
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 pm
- Tell us about yourself: First time shepherd rescue who has wanted a pure shepherd since I was a kid. Now that I have the finances and space for it I took the plunge and I think I may have ended up with a part Dutchie! As soon as I met him my reserves for a pure GSD went out the window
Re: Jerry Lee's road to health!
Technically, Jerry Lee had one more day left before the 8 weeks was up but given the snow circumstances... I let it slide for the sake a few good snow romps before the end of winter.
So...... JERRY LEE IS HEALTHY AND FREE!!!!!!!!!!
Having a bit of trouble adding the video I took of the few quick snow romps I let him get yesterday (Can videos be posted?).
Obviously.... Dutchies are born to ROOST and it seems like he's barely even stepping on the gas. He's going to be a very athletic dog and I can't wait to get him out to some fields and trails. Dutchie Power!!
Thanks for all of the support!! JL knows you guys were pulling for him.
So...... JERRY LEE IS HEALTHY AND FREE!!!!!!!!!!
Having a bit of trouble adding the video I took of the few quick snow romps I let him get yesterday (Can videos be posted?).
Obviously.... Dutchies are born to ROOST and it seems like he's barely even stepping on the gas. He's going to be a very athletic dog and I can't wait to get him out to some fields and trails. Dutchie Power!!
Thanks for all of the support!! JL knows you guys were pulling for him.
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA


Facebook page.

