New to this!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
Devo7
Puppy
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:02 am
Tell us about yourself: I am the proud owner of a dutch shepherd pup named Chief! I am also the proud owner of a jack Russell/ chihuahua mix named Starsky. I completed school to be a vet tech and I now travel with my husband.

New to this!

Post by Devo7 »

Hello, we just have a quick question.
We are getting our Dutch Shepherd pup in June and was wondering what size crate we might need. We are getting the Midwest all life stages crate with the double doors and the adjustable panel. The crate size chart goes by weight. I talked to our breeder and she had said that our pup should exceed the 70lb mark. The cut off between the two sizes I am thinking is 40 something to 70lbs and the next size starts at 71 lbs. Not sure which one to go with. Any input would be helpful. :huh:
Devan. Starsky & Chief..... no Hutch yet!!
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New to this!

Post by LyonsFamily »

Do you have dimensions for the crates? I hardly ever go by weight since a 40lb dogs can be taller or longer than a 70lb dog. Odin is about 72lbs full grown now, but he's pretty tall. His wire crate is 42x26 and 28" tall. I originally had the size smaller than that when we first got him and he was a little over a year, maybe 10lbs lighter, but I returned it the day after we brought him home.

For travelling and shows, he has a Large plastic petmate kennel. 36x24x26. Elli has the same one for travelling and shows and she used it when crate training. Elli is only 42lbs though and short and long. It works fine for the car and day trips for Odin, but I don't think I'd leave him in it for longer periods of crate training.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: New to this!

Post by Stacy_R »

Tyson is 15 months old, just under 50 lbs, and stands 24" tall at the shoulder. I have him in a 42(l) x 30(h) x 28(w) wire crate.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
Devo7
Puppy
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:02 am
Tell us about yourself: I am the proud owner of a dutch shepherd pup named Chief! I am also the proud owner of a jack Russell/ chihuahua mix named Starsky. I completed school to be a vet tech and I now travel with my husband.

Re: New to this!

Post by Devo7 »

Thank you guys for your input. The two sizes that I am looking at are: 36-inch: 36.75 L x 23.25 W x 24.75 H
42-inch: 43.25 L x 29.25 W x 30.5 H. I know it is hard to say at this point, I am leaning toward the 42 inch. I had rather have it a tad bit to big than to small. I just hope the 42 will be big enough. Look at me already worrying. Me and my fiance have been looking for a dog for the past year and a half, after we researched as much as we could we finally decided on a DS. We are beyond excited! :ds:
Devan. Starsky & Chief..... no Hutch yet!!
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New to this!

Post by LyonsFamily »

I think the 42" should be fine. You might get a few ear tips sticking out when standing, but he'll fit well. I know both Odin and Elli can fit in my 42" wire one at the same time, although I can't guarantee they'll be happy about it. If you want, I can shoot some pictures of Odin modelling it for you this weekend so you can see what it's like for a bigger DS in different positions.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Devo7
Puppy
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:02 am
Tell us about yourself: I am the proud owner of a dutch shepherd pup named Chief! I am also the proud owner of a jack Russell/ chihuahua mix named Starsky. I completed school to be a vet tech and I now travel with my husband.

Re: New to this!

Post by Devo7 »

That would be great if you don't mind! Got to love pictures!
Devan. Starsky & Chief..... no Hutch yet!!
Post Reply