And the dog will be staring back at her on the other side of the window.Dutchringgirl wrote: Start it up and stay there and peek in a window.
Question about leaving dog out of crate
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Mine would
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- Dutch in America
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:18 pm
- Tell us about yourself: A dog lover living in Florida. I am originally from The Netherlands. Had dogs all my life, mostly working dogs. Last one was a GSD I trained for narcotic detection. I have recently gotten my first DS, Ranger. I also have 2 Danish/Swedish farmdogs.
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
We have had 2 successful trips out of the house for 2-3 hours with Ranger out of the crate. Bless his heart, nothing destroyed, only casualty a few new scratches in the door.
Mom to:
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
Sounds great !!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- Dutch in America
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:18 pm
- Tell us about yourself: A dog lover living in Florida. I am originally from The Netherlands. Had dogs all my life, mostly working dogs. Last one was a GSD I trained for narcotic detection. I have recently gotten my first DS, Ranger. I also have 2 Danish/Swedish farmdogs.
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
In retrospect, I think Ranger was just super pissed that HE was in a crate and our other 2 dogs were not. I have a sneaking suspicion that Elwood may have been teasing him.
As for peeking in the window, I would have all three boys looking back out at me
, thank goodness for FaceTime and Skype, we were able to see what they were up to and actually be "the voice of God" when we saw something we didn't like. Hahah.
As for peeking in the window, I would have all three boys looking back out at me
Mom to:
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
I don't think he knows my car yet specifically. He knows when cars come and go but not which one is mine. He is doing good with short 10-15 minute disappearances so I will keep increasing it.
Karen & Xander
- centrop67
- Site Admin

- Posts: 3589
- Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:42 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.
- Location: Cutler Bay, FL, USA
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
Never underestimate his ability to be tuned directly in to you, and all you do - including when your car leaves.karenz wrote:I don't think he knows my car yet specifically.
If he could talk, he might tell you that the intake valve on the third cylinder of your motor has an extra .5mm gap that causes a slight tapping noise when the valve opens.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
![]() |
RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers |
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
Hahaha. So true. Thor was 18 months when we adopted him, but he was quick to learn the sound of each of our vehicles, but what truly surprised us was he detected them coming down the road at a considerable distance--out of sight and far enough for a couple minutes to pass before one of us pulled in the drive. (The husband and I agreed that he would make it hard for either of us to be engaged in secret activities.)centrop67 wrote: karenz wrote:I don't think he knows my car yet specifically.
Never underestimate his ability to be tuned directly in to you, and all you do - including when your car leaves.
If he could talk, he might tell you that the intake valve on the third cylinder of your motor has an extra .5mm gap that causes a slight tapping noise when the valve opens.
Every Harley has its own sound and he knows the sound of ours over others, too. I don't even know the sound of our bike over most others. When he hears one in the distance, he stops for a second to listen, and if it's ours, brother, get out of the way.
All vehicles = No-holds-barred happy dance fully complimented with hound-ish yelps and howls. Which means neighbors always know, too, when one of us is "almost" home.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
This is so very true, my girls know my truck sounds. Any other car comes up they dont do anything, mine, they go bazerk!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- HeatherH
- Green Dog
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
I never thought a dog would be so in tuned to where my where about. Case in point I've said Greg has lost Dutch twice. He only came out of his hiding place until I walk into the forest. I know this sounds
but I could be a block away and Greg knows when I'm on my way home by the fact that Dutch would go berserk. Dutch is not quite 2
My parents were watching my daughter one day while I was at work my dal at the time went off his stick when I was around the corner in my car they had no idea. My mom asked my dad what the heck was wrong with my dog. My dad told my mom I was probably around somewhere.
They know.
Heather
My parents were watching my daughter one day while I was at work my dal at the time went off his stick when I was around the corner in my car they had no idea. My mom asked my dad what the heck was wrong with my dog. My dad told my mom I was probably around somewhere.
They know.
Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
Xander is doing great with his freedom. So far nothing destroyed. At least I can run errands without locking him up. The longest he has been out is about an hour. I make sure he is worn out before I leave so he will be ready for a nap.
Karen & Xander
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: Question about leaving dog out of crate
This is my final update. Xander is doing great with full range of the house. I can leave him 3+ hours and no problem. No destruction no accidents. It is wonderful. I didn't expect it to go so well. Thanks to all for the help.
Karen & Xander


Facebook page.