Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie saved me from a garder snake skin. I dont know what I would have done if not for Sadie barking at it and making sure it would not attack me :DSangel: It was laying there just waiting for the right moment, then Sadie came along and found it. She did the touch with nose and jump back 5 feet, just in case the snake skin decided to jump at her. She made sure she nosed it and jumped back many times. I was brave enough to pick it up and let Sadie at it. She got it , but unfortunately didnt know it was in her mouth. She ran around looking for it, she pretended to be scared and backed into everything, but I know it was just an act. It fell out and she started barking at it again, to make sure it would stay put.

I told her all was well and to come in, as she happily trotted in, she stopped at the spot where she found it to see a small branch in its spot. She had to bark at that too to make sure the branch would not attack me as well. I would not want to be attacked by a snake skin AND a branch in one evening. I picked up the branch for her to bite and she did and she trotted so happy away with the attack branch in her mouth.

All the while, Thalie was sitting by, watching, thinking.... :yernuts:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by karenz »

Good job Sadie. I'm glad she protected you so well. Isn't it amazing what they will protect you from.... mops brooms leaf blowers 2x4s propped up on the fence beetles.... I could go on and on. What grat protectors. That's why I names mine Xander. It is dutch for protector of mankind. Lol
Karen & Xander
deadrabbits
Puppy
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:08 am
Tell us about yourself: First Dutch owned. Was bought for my daughter and the family. Currently going through obedience classes. I am former military and currently working for a law enforcement agency. Have had labs most of my life and a friend introduced me to his Dutch and my family fell in love. Our current one is a female named pepper and is just now 3 months old. I would like to possibly train her for search and rescue
Location: Buckeye AZ

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by deadrabbits »

Thank you for making my beer come out my nose. And yes it burns. I couldn't stop laughing
Casey and pepper----- Mr H's long lost sister
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

LOL! We just had "evil box" and "evil grill wheels". Oh and "evil rake"… he tried to carry that one off too. lol.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by johninny »

for Tracer today, it was a surf board laying on the ground where he did not expect it. he leaped into the air sideways to escape its grasp; then with composure regained, went to inspect and sniff. his first surfboard i guess.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

So...........for all of the newbies who are waiting for the Demon possession hour to end???????

NEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Raven »

I wish Thor had a bit more caution in him sometimes. SNAKE? Dead. SKUNK? Dead. MOLE? Dead. FROG? Dead. BIRD. Dead. (IF I don't see him first to call him off, that is.) And cleaning dried guts off fur...not fun.

The very tip of the neighbor's pool rake poked up above our stockade fence way down in the corner of the property. I wouldn't have even noticed if Thor didn't put out a three-alarm alert: MMMMOOOOOOMMMMMMMM! THAT WASN'T THERE BEFORE! He sees it isn't moving...not making any noise...sees me just stand there... Oh... :oops:

He did, however, the other night do something I don't get. The husband was handing me things out of the bottom of the oven drawer. Thor, naturally, is there, wanting to help Dad. Without the husband or I saying anything--or doing anything differently--Thor walked over to me at the sink and slid his head between my leg and the cupboard to watch his father. He reminded me of a fear-aggressive dog I had who would get behind me when in doubt. Weird.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thalie does that all of the time. If I am standing at the sink, she will go between my legs and the cabinets. She will do that when I am cooking on the stove too. Thalie isnt the least bet afraid or aggressive so Im wondering if its just a lovey thing.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by HeatherH »

neighborhood dogs, the rake, the lawnmower, vaccum, leaf blower. What was it that just moved in that bush, here let me go check it. Who needs cable tv when you have a ds?

lol
Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Raven »

HeatherH wrote:Who needs cable tv when you have a ds?
:lol: How true. :lol:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by karenz »

Xander just had to protect me from the boogie man in the sock drawer. I moved my socks to a different drawer. Of course he has to have his nose in everything I do and was astonished that there were now socks in the bra drawer. Unbelievable!!!! :eek:
Karen & Xander
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Hendrix thinks toads are the best toys on earth. And now mice. Both squeak (one because it jumps on mom and she squeaks, the other does it and mom squeaks too) so he thinks they're the BEST.

Today I was protected from the evil chirping birds. They better not get any closer than their 50 foot flight pattern!

And H does the same thing - if I'm walking he'll push between my legs and walk with me… occupying the important space where my feet must go so I'm forced to waddle like a penguin. If you stop he'll back up and sit for pets so his head is positioned just the right few inches away so you can pet without hitting yourself. I have no idea where that came from. Standing at the counter I have a furry cushion between me and the cabinets. It's even better when he can stand on your foot and lean against your legs apparently.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Raven »

karenz wrote:was astonished that there were now socks in the bra drawer. Unbelievable!!!! :eek:
:lmao: OMG, they don't miss one stinkin' thing.

I can put on an old shirt out of the closet (no new-store smell or anything) or hang a new picture on the wall, or whatever, and it must be inspected. "I've never seen this before...hmmmm...seems okay. Alright, carry on."
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Raven »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:Hendrix thinks toads are the best toys on earth
When he gets done with the toads (toads or frogs?), does he try to get the yuck taste out of his mouth by flapping his tongue in and out?

When Thor got one--oh! the tongue and the lips curling back showing the teeth was quite the production--I was worried his trophy was toxic. I Googled the specimen (ha!). Only about a dozen looked the same to me for this area.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by karenz »

[quote="Raven"]I wish Thor had a bit more caution in him sometimes. SNAKE? Dead. SKUNK? Dead. MOLE? Dead. FROG? Dead. BIRD. Dead. (IF I don't see him first to call him off, that is.) And cleaning dried guts off fur...not fun.

My dad's ds, mia, found a skunk recently. Believe it or not she loves cats. I guess she wanted to play with the funny looking cat.... that didn't last long. Boy did she stink!!!! :eew:
Karen & Xander
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Sharon - no, sadly, because I would Instagram that to death if he did! Hilarious! He just paws the poor amphibian until it hops again. Could be a frog. I don't exactly get close to check. I'm trying not to run screaming into the night when he finds a "froggie". Did I mention I am so not a country girl? ;)

Lol! "Hey look! It's a black and white kitty! Oh boy I bet it wants to play! Wonder why it's big and doesn't smell like a kitty.... Oh well! What could go wrong?" Poor Mia.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Caution ??????????????????? Good one LOL. Sadie loves frogs too, she runs around the pool barking at them then when she gets one, shakes it to death :( Thalie tried to play with the cat one night, very late, after all of the stores closed !!! No more kitties for Thalie
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Mmmmmmmm frog legs for a snack!!!

H tried to play with a plant once. I think it was "chase me" but you know, the plant didn't want to play so it got pummeled.

LOL. Do I want to ask who was the victor in that play date?
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The cat, of course, Thalie smelled !!!!! OMG that is the worst smell ever!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: Attack of the snake skin!!!!

Post by Mobil »

Haha, these dogs are hilarious!

Mobil found a toad and he was so excited about it, barking at it and sounding like that little dog that always scared Clyde the cat on the Bugs Bunny cartoons. Until the toad jumped and scared the life out of him and he ran away yelling yipe-yipe-yipe-yipe!

He's such a diva!
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
Post Reply