I love when my dog.........................................

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

I love when my dog.........................................

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I love when Thalie just follows me around, she is like my shadow. I walk, she walks, I stop, she stops, always at my side.

I love when Sadie lets out these HUGE groans when I scratch her ears.


Next....................
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by karenz »

I love when Xander jumps on the bed at 7 am on Sunday when I'm trying to sleep in and gives me violent kisses and shoves his head in my armpit.

But I can't get mad, he is sooo sweet.
Karen & Xander
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by Raven »

Dutchringgirl wrote:I love when Thalie just follows me around, she is like my shadow. I walk, she walks, I stop, she stops, always at my side.
Ditto with Thor, my third leg, always.

I love it when he gives me that wide-eyed, child-like look that says, "Now what?"

And I LOVE how he waits until the husband and I settle into bed, and when he's invited up, he lumbers over to give his Dad butterfly kisses goodnight and then goes to curl up at the end of the bed. (This is strictly their bedtime ritual. Mothers are not included.)

I reeeeeeaaaallly LOVE when he's at my side and throws his head against my leg, looking up at me. The look and the feeling is pure love. :DSlove:

Next...............
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I love it when my guy gives a growly woof as he watches the retreating back of some threat. Usually happens minutes after the threat is long gone and a distant spec in the horizon. Like a "I'm still watching you buddy so don't you think about coming back here." Paper bags better stay away!

Next….
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by karenz »

I'm going again. I love how Xander has to "kill" his treats before he eats them. I never get tired of it. I can't help but laugh. It is sooooooo funny.
Karen & Xander
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by HeatherH »

I love it when my dog howls and wales whenever he hears an ambulance siren. Also the fact that he can never just lie down no it's a head neck first twist the back end and wind down.
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by karenz »

HeatherH wrote:Also the fact that he can never just lie down no it's a head neck first twist the back end and wind down.
Xander does this as well or he does this loud dramatic plop that you can hear from the other end of the house. Like he throws himself onto the floor.
Karen & Xander
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by Mobil »

karenz wrote:
Xander does this as well or he does this loud dramatic plop that you can hear from the other end of the house. Like he throws himself onto the floor.
HAHA! Mobil does that, too! BLAM! Every time.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by HeatherH »

It answers the question where is he and what is he doing "bham plop" oh in the living room on his bed (not the floor different sound) lying down, good successful run he's tired.
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
User avatar
Groc352
Puppy
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:26 pm
Tell us about yourself: Have two female Dutch Shepherds. Zia And Molly.
Both about 3 years old.
best friends I could ever ask for! aside from my fiancé lol

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by Groc352 »

love it when our new dog Molly gives a satisfying burp with a toy in her mouth after finishing her dinner then just looks at me like, what? :DSangel:
Ryan

Zia and Molly.
Dutch shepherds about 2 years old.
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by Mobil »

We have a squishy chew toy bone filled with little honeycomb openings in which to put treats. I gave it to Mobil and he dropped it on the floor and saw a few treats fall out, so now when there are treats in it, he just picks it up and drops it a thousand times to get the treats out.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by Raven »

Mobil wrote:so now when there are treats in it, he just picks it up and drops it a thousand times to get the treats out.
A long time ago as I was walking along, and accidentally kicked one of Thor's Kongs (or he purposely put in the way of my feet) and a carrot or something flew out...so...ever since, he drops or tosses his treat dispensers on or at my feet, especially if I've made a treat super-tough to get out. He's like a crow who puts a nut under the wheel of a car waiting at a red light, except with the Kongs, I usually trip over them or nothing happens. It was just that one stinkin' time that something came flying out.

He. Won't. Ever. Forget. That.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by karenz »

Xander slings his kong all over the place. He will bounce it off the floor and walls trying to get his hotdog chunks out. If he gets tired of trying he comes and puts it in my lap, sits down, and gives me this pathetic look saying momma help me I can't get it out. I always help him get one piece out because he looks so pathetic.
Karen & Xander
User avatar
Tina
Puppy
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:49 am
Tell us about yourself: Parent of a rescued pup, Epona. She was abandoned with 6 of her siblings in the woods without any food or their mama. She's definitely a mix but it looks like she has some features of a DS! She loves to chew on things and is very hyper!

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by Tina »

I love it when Epona yawns and makes noises like a cat... her yawn sounds really like a "meow"! :lol:
~Tina~
Epona - Shepherd mix puppy
User avatar
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3589
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.
Location: Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by centrop67 »

Tina wrote:I love it when Epona yawns and makes noises like a cat... her yawn sounds really like a "meow"! :lol:
Yes, the beginning of the Chewbacca sounds (and unfortunately, crazy hour). I thought it was cute at first as well. :whistle:

I love it when Radar does anything gentle, like slowly climbing up in my lap to lick my face. This always happens when he wants/needs something, and I guess it's his way of working on my mental stimulation to figure it out.

I also love the way Radar smells. It's only a hint of dog scent with something else that just feels wonderful. Does anyone else take notice of their DS's smell?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by johninny »

i was just thinking about the topic of scent the other night. i have not noticed a specific scent to any of my current or recent dogs, just normal ''sweaty'' smells when they have exercised and gotten overheated.

on the other hand, TraceDog had his own unique scent which manifested itself when he slept and would stay with him for a while afterwards. talking deep sleep here, not eyes-closed rest; and he would start emitting this scent very strongly the moment he went into REM mode. i could gauge his sleep stages and the quality of his sleep/rest by this. the more deep sleep, the greater depth and length of the aroma, and the happier he would be. such a direct correlation to his physical and mental well-being!

it was a very attractive, musky smell that everyone who had the privilege of contact loved. so if he wandered into a room bringing with him his special perfume, you could tell that he had emerged from a good REM sleep and was now ready to rumble.

to my current dogs' puzzlement, each of them has occasionally awoken to me sniffing them for a similarly special sleep scent, at which point they give this look like,''what the hell are you doing, you weirdo?''
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3589
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.
Location: Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by centrop67 »

johninny wrote:at which point they give this look like,''what the hell are you doing, you weirdo?''
Turn-around is fair play, right? ;)

I wish I knew how to describe Radar's scent. Leela smells like a dog (period), even after a bath. Radar seems to have his own cologne going on, even when it's been a while between baths.

I also love it when Radar and Leela are playing rough, and I bark out "kisses only." At which point, they rub noses a little and Leela will give Radar a quick lick. Of course, they usually go right back to playing rough, but for a moment it's really cute.
:DSlove:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by Raven »

centrop67 wrote:I also love it when Radar and Leela are playing rough, and I bark out "kisses only." At which point, they rub noses a little and Leela will give Radar a quick lick.
How adorable is that? We need a video.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by karenz »

I don't know how I missed this one... but... I love when I go to one end of the house and of course Xander follows me. If I take to long he lays down in the hall so I can't sneak past him. As I approach he immediately rolls onto his back for a belly rub. Like the secret password is rub my BELLY.
Karen & Xander
KellaA+dog6
Puppy
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:59 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a married empty nester, who was lucky enough to stay home with kids, dogs, and cats when not traveling with husband.
Location: S. San Francisco Bay Area

Re: I love when my dog......................................

Post by KellaA+dog6 »

After reading the "scent posts", - I love Kella's natural smell of part dog, part sawdust/fresh cut wood. I had never had a dog with other than just dog smell before. I also love when she puts her paws on the deck rail next to me, leans against me and looks up at me with soft eyes. Sweet.
Kella's Person Mara
Post Reply