Elli Almost Died Last Night

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by LyonsFamily »

Well, the last few days have certainly been exciting. I've been under the weather and took a few days off work. My days of rest turned into the complete opposite. I ran to the post office yesterday to come home to silence, which is really weird when you have 2 Dutch Shepherds. I casually mentioned to my husband as we walked in that we couldn't hear Elli and we shrugged it off to Odin locking her in the laundry room again. Normally she barks and hits the door when she hears us pull up.

Well, when we got inside, she was foaming at the mouth, staggering, her eyes were dilated, and all of her hackles were raised. We ran her outside and I'm pretty sure my husband thought she was rabid :lol: as I came out to him peeking at her behind the door. At least he stayed with her and watched her like I asked.

I quickly went through the house looking at what she could've possibly gotten into and immediately notices an unopened bottle of Proin was missing from the dog cabinet. Sure enough, it was on the bed and completely empty and chewed. I called my boss and we went through the systems and his suggestion was to induce vomiting and call back in 10 minutes.

I scooped her up from the dog yard and tried to induce vomiting. She was not having the hydrogen peroxide being shoved down her throat, but I think I got enough in and she vomited what looked like maybe half the pills. My thumb has a nice set of bruises from the resistance. My clinic was closed for the night and they don't have overnight care, but I did speak the head tech and my boss/vet on their cellphones. The emergency clinic in Flint and the only one nearby short of making the hour and a half trip to MSU might as well be the same as putting her in a crate and leaving the room, so I called my parent's vet and had him on standby and drove to my parents' and waited it out. We were about 10 minutes away from his clinic if I needed him.

For those of you who don't know, Proin is a stimulant, which can cause increase heart rate, hypertension, and hemorrhaging. Most if not all problems are in the fist 90 minutes and we had passed that. I wouldn't even had made it to the Flint clinic in that time. With the amount that she still had in her, she was just at a good level of buzzed all night and my parents' vet felt I could handle it at home unless she showed signs of bleeding or seizures. Luckily she's a somewhat larger breed and I only had a 14 day supply of the drug on me.

The old English Setter at my parents house sat up with her under the deck staring at the stars while I tried to get fluids into her and just wait it out. She just wanted to pace and look at the sky all night. She eventually came out of it around 2am and we slept until about 5am when I could get a call into a Tech at work and then head home with the all clear. She's taken pretty much all of today to sleep and for her eyes to return to normal. She's clear per the doctor now, we just need to wait it out for any signs of ulcers or retinal damage.

Odin the doctor has been on overtime these last few days taking care of 2 sick humans and a very sick Elli. I think it's starting to go to his head that he's managed to heal all of us one by one.

Here's a picture of her relaxing out under the apple tree in the sun this afternoon after we were all relieved it was over. I spent my 2nd day off rearranging which cabinets the pills are stored in so she can't climb for access again. It was definitely a lesson in not under estimating the efforts a bored Dutch Shepherd will go through to find something to do.
Elli-field.jpg
Elli-field.jpg (428.07 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by johninny »

OMG, what an ordeal for all of you. so glad she is recovering. Elli certainly looks very comfy in her grass!

as always with your dogs, Elli was in such good hands; she is a very lucky girl.

[ maybe a note to emphasize for others: since the mouse/rat poison scare 1 1/2 years ago that i posted about, i keep copious amounts of hydrogen peroxide around just in case induced vomiting is needed in a time-frame that normal medical care could not accommodate. ditto for anti-bloat meds. ]

it is amazing how frequently well-laid plans for relaxation or urgent projects get up-ended by DS emergencies of one sort or another. will hope for a full recovery with no complications.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by Raven »

How awful for Elli and all of you. SO glad it wasn't worse and things are okay. :DSlove:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
cake73
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.
Contact:

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by cake73 »

Holy smokes!

:dsshock:

Glad to hear that all ended well!
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015


North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by Mobil »

Holy shit. It's a good thing you got home when you did!
I'm so glad she pulled through.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by HeatherH »

wow these dogs will eat anything. good call on your part. Lucky dog.
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by Dutchringgirl »

wow, hugs to you guys !!!!!!!! I am so glad she is okay. I have Proin for Thalie, but all my stuff is away and they are crated when I am out. It would be Sadie who would get into trouble anyway LOL
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by Dutchringgirl »

For the peroxide, do you just pour it down their throats? Glad I know that now. My parents lost their last basset to rat poison.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
DanLu5
Puppy
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a long time dog enthusiast but first time Dutch Shepherd owner. Logan is a KNPV bred Dutch Shepherd and great grandson of the great Arko Kikkert. He's by far the most demanding dog I've ever had but also by far the most rewarding.
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by DanLu5 »

Really glad to hear that things worked out! Super scary situation!!!

And I second the question on how to administer the hydrogen peroxide. Any guidance you guys could provide on how to use the peroxide in the event of an emergency would be greatly appreciated!
DND & Lohgs, ON
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by Stacy_R »

so glad she is okay! you got home just in time!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by karenz »

So glad to hear everything turned out ok. I third the question on the hydrogen peroxide. I would have never guessed that you could pour it down a dog's throat. Xander had a chlorine scare this past summer. I now have the pet poison control number on speed dial. They quickly gave me instructions on what to do. With the chlorine they said do not induse vomiting because of chemical burns to the digestive tract. I had to go get meds the next morning from the vet to help protect against ulcers and burns. One was for the stomach and the other was for the esophagus. If anyone doesn't already have the number for pet poison control it is 1-800-213-6680.
Karen & Xander
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by LyonsFamily »

Thanks for all the well wishes for Elli. Her eyes seem to have finally returned to normal, but she has a little bit of temporary ataxia left. She gets dizzy after waking and standing up quickly and then falls over. The vet is confident it'll go away this weekend since she's running and playing fine. With Odin's "swag" from his bad back, it was kind of funny watching them walk around like drunks when they woke up this morning.

As for the hydrogen peroxide, use the 3% solution and I believe it has to be used within a half hour of ingestion, if not than at least within the hour. My vet recommended doing 1 tablespoon at a time and give a second dose 10 minutes later if nothing comes out. Elli is only 42lbs, so her dose is probably a little smaller than those on here. They recommended I walk her on leash at a fast pace after administering it because it'll help upset the stomach.

I tried everything to get it into her including mixing it with broth and treats. I eventually got it in straight with a turkey baster pushed to the back of her mouth. It's basically like a big syringe. I wish I would've just done that first so she didn't know it was coming. She bit my thumb, but didn't break skin. I don't really blame her for that. Maybe I could've mixed it with the broth a little in the baster so she didn't gag at the taste. I wasn't thinking much at the time. I usually also freeze ice cube trays of blood from thawing raw food, but I was out this time. Mixing that in the baster with the peroxide may have worked better too.

It is really important that you make sure what ever was ingested should be thrown up. Like Karen said, some things like Chlorine are better to stay in as they will cause more damage coming out the mouth. Activated charcoal can help absorb poisons that shouldn't be thrown up. Calling the animal poison control center, your vet, or an emergency vet first is really important.

These were in the closed upper cabinets above the peninsula in my kitchen, so I had no idea she'd even think to climb and look in there for something edible, especially since she doesn't like taking any medication normally. I'm making an emergency medical kit for them this weekend and locking the meds and supplies in an ammo can in the bathroom closet. I'm also putting vet records in there in case we have to go to a different clinic. I have most of mine saved digitally to my email, and hard copies in my training bag, but I think extra hard copies would be good to have in one safe place along with other emergency supplies.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Wow!!!! So glad Elli is alright!!!! That's terrifying!

For the hydrogen peroxide you can pour it down their throat, put a little honey in it, or take a syringe and squirt it down. I've used it several times on H. It works within 10 mins (the more you get in them the faster it works) and they throw up everything so make sure you're outside and wait a few mins after they're done in case more comes up. I want to say it's a teaspoon per 10 lbs body weight?
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by karenz »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:I want to say it's a teaspoon per 10 lbs body weight?
Can anyone here, maybe a vet, give us all a list of good things to have handy around in case of different emergencies? That would be awesome. The peroxide, bloat treatment, bleeding, or any other things that would help out after hours until we could get to a vet. The pet poison people were able to tell me what but i had to run get it. A list of what to give for what and how much per pound. I know with the chlorine accident I had to get one of the meds from my vet but the other one was pepcid ac. Xander has his own cabinet for all his stuff and I could print the list and tape it in there for quick panic reference.
Karen & Xander
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by LyonsFamily »

AVMA has a good list of recommendations. https://www.avma.org/public/EmergencyCa ... klist.aspx
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Elli Almost Died Last Night

Post by LyonsFamily »

This is kind of a cool list of unconventional medical aids from regular supplies. AAHA is the organization the clinic I work at is affiliated with. http://www.aahanet.org/blog/petsmatter/ ... d-kit.aspx
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Post Reply