Hello!

For our new members to introduce themselves
User avatar
Flying Dutchman
Puppy
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:31 pm
Tell us about yourself: I have five dogs: Alex, a chow mix who is now about 14, and four Dutch shepherds (all rescued DS): Ku (Hawaiian God of War), Kane (sounds like "Kahnay"; Hawaiian God of the Sun), Kanaloa (Hawaiian God of the Sea) and Kapua (Hawaiian gods of mischief - the Mischief Makers). Alex is our cheerleader and keeps the 4 DS in line. Three of the DS currently compete in DockDogs and we are trying to convince Lo that water is not evil. Our team name is Hawaiian by Heart which comes from the old joke by my husband that he is "Dutch by blood, Hawaiian by Heart." Our main goal is to promote having fun with your dog (and by doing so becoming partners) and supporting the rescue of the wonderful animals out there in need of homes.

We lost our big lady, Kelley, in May 2012 to cancer and she joins several other angel dogs who are now watching over us.
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contact:

Hello!

Post by Flying Dutchman »

My name is Heather and we had been thinking of getting a DS for awhile after we lost our crazy, high-drive black Lab last year to cancer. We have two friends who both have Dutchies and several who have Malinois and had long admired their drive, intelligence and athleticism. But our remaining dogs are both older (each about 11) and aren't the greatest with other dogs, so we figured that a DS was way down the road.

Well, I often say that dogs have a way of finding you when you least expect it and that is definitely what happened with Kū. About four months ago a friend of ours told us about a Dutch that needed a home as he was in a bad situation. Long story short...we took a chance and rescued him and we couldn't have asked for a better situation. He is great with our other dogs and is buddies with Alex who is completely blind (and definitely a cranky pants) and is super gentle with him. Kū was mostly confined by his previous owners and got little to no exercise (and practically zero training) so you can imagine what he was like when we got him. We've been working very hard to give him an outlet for his energy and desire to work and since I have been involved with DockDogs for several years we decided to give that a shot.

So in less than 3 months Kū has gone from not being able to really swim to dock jumping and he absolutely loves it. He's doing really well and has finally put on some muscle and is looking better due to improved nutrition, etc. He is an absolute blast to have and is full of personality and we can't imagine our lives now without a Dutch.

As with any high-drive intelligent dog, he is a full-time job but it has been so rewarding to watch him thrive and start to come into his own. :D

I'm looking forward to getting to know other people who share their lives with these very special dogs.
Heather
Denver, Colorado
The Dutch Army: Ku, Kane ("Kahnay"), Kanaloa and Kapua
Their General: Alex
Angels: Kelley, Gryphon, & Casey
http://www.rockymountaindockdogs.com

Be Your Dog's Hero. Support http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org


http://dutchshepherdrescue.org/
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello!

Post by Sugars Mom »

What a great story and congrats on your newest addition, and welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing some great pics of Ku : )
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hello!

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Did we mention WE LOVE PICS!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Hello!

Post by icvanstra »

Heather,

Welcome to the forum! AND Thank you for rescuing!!!
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Hello!

Post by Lauren »

Welcome Heather and Ku!

What a great story! How nice that he fits in so well. We really really do love pictures...
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Fantastic !!!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome.
Nice story!
Image
bridgerscrew
Just Whelped
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: We rescued Druid via a courtesy listing by NADSR. We had high hopes that his personality would blend well with & our Black Labrador, Bridger. It was a little dicey at first, but now they are the best of friends, infact Druid idolizes the ground Bridger runs on. We compete in dockdiving and after several months of standing alongside the pool & "cheering on" the other dogs... Our waterphobic, Druid finally found the courage to take the plunge and try out dockdiving. Since then we have been introduced to French Ring and although we may never make it past a Brevet, we are having the time of our lives, & learning some "mad skills" too ;-)

Re: Hello!

Post by bridgerscrew »

HaHa! Can't say I didn't warn you ;-) Love you Ku & Heather to!
User avatar
cake73
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by cake73 »

Hi, Heather!

Thanks for giving Kū a great home and for sharing his story with us.

Kū has two photos in the 2012 NADSR calendar vote...

Image

Image
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015


North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Marjolein »

wow! nice pics!
Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hello!

Post by GSDNanny »

Awesome photos!!! :wtg: :yeah:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
Flying Dutchman
Puppy
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:31 pm
Tell us about yourself: I have five dogs: Alex, a chow mix who is now about 14, and four Dutch shepherds (all rescued DS): Ku (Hawaiian God of War), Kane (sounds like "Kahnay"; Hawaiian God of the Sun), Kanaloa (Hawaiian God of the Sea) and Kapua (Hawaiian gods of mischief - the Mischief Makers). Alex is our cheerleader and keeps the 4 DS in line. Three of the DS currently compete in DockDogs and we are trying to convince Lo that water is not evil. Our team name is Hawaiian by Heart which comes from the old joke by my husband that he is "Dutch by blood, Hawaiian by Heart." Our main goal is to promote having fun with your dog (and by doing so becoming partners) and supporting the rescue of the wonderful animals out there in need of homes.

We lost our big lady, Kelley, in May 2012 to cancer and she joins several other angel dogs who are now watching over us.
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Flying Dutchman »

Ah...I figured Bridgerscrew might be on here! Their guy Druid is one of the reasons we fell in love with Dutchies.

Thanks for the welcome and Ku just got back from his longest road trip to date and he did awesome. We went to Vegas for a DockDogs event and while he is still learning the game and isn't all that consistent, he had a great time and was one of the stars of the show. I can't tell you how many people came up to us and asked about him, complimented him, wanted to pet him, etc. It's pretty neat to have a dog like that and he loves every minute of it because he knows he's Hot Stuff.

I love to take pictures so I'll try to share them as much as I can. He's pretty easy on the eyes if I do say so myself so getting good photos isn't too hard. :D

Here are some from this past weekend although the first three were taken by a pro so I can't take credit.

Ku doing Extreme Vertical (EV) which I think is his favorite
Image


Going after the bumper in Speed Retrieve
Image


GOT IT!!
Image


And hanging out in the yard waiting for me to throw the toy. I swear this dog is part Labrador!
Image
Heather
Denver, Colorado
The Dutch Army: Ku, Kane ("Kahnay"), Kanaloa and Kapua
Their General: Alex
Angels: Kelley, Gryphon, & Casey
http://www.rockymountaindockdogs.com

Be Your Dog's Hero. Support http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org


http://dutchshepherdrescue.org/
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hello!

Post by alspyce »

Looks like such fun!!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Hello!

Post by Raven »

"Flying Dutchman"--I love it. Glad you found each other.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello!

Post by Sugars Mom »

Great pics and dog! Wa-hoo!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Those are great photos! Dock diving looks like fun.
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello!

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Heather and Ku. 8-) How wonderful that the dog and you both seem to have found their perfect match!
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hello!

Post by GSDNanny »

That looks so doggone fun!! Seriously though. I'd love to watch that competition in person some day. Do you know if there are any training clubs in Louisiana or east Texas? I havent done an online search yet but would be something fun for my dogs to do, and very low impact for me :dsrazz:

How do you start pups out in training?

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello!

Post by Marjolein »

GSDNanny wrote: How do you start pups out in training?
Whahaha, I have a picture of that in my mind :dssmile:
One holds the bumper, the other the pup, and try and toss it as close to the bumper as possible :lol: Or would they use a slingshot :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
Image
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hello!

Post by kchristy »

Awesome pics!
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Post Reply