Well I think I might have a new one.

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Man that is one epic fail. Usually LOZ is better then that; but I wasn't aware if the semi-change in ownership either. True you will get a pup or two meant for something else like sport or perhaps a pet. But that is the breeding I heard about and that is an insane choice for a first time DS or even Mal owner! Man what a crazy decision. Just can't stop shaking my head. Mark keep us posted on if you keep her or not. At least you're there to catch her so she didn't just go to a shelter!

A hard dog is best used by this quote: "A hard dog, what I have learned over the years from my father is a dog that has strong nerves, drive, sound aggression, is resilient and doesn't feel pain. Even if you accidently mis-treat the dog, the dog won't be mad at you.

to them hardness is a single trait whereas to us a hard dog is a certain type of dog. Like Gildo vom Koerbelbach or Basko vom Flughafenrand.
Also, it doesn't mean that a hard dog is handler aggressive and especially nowadays people mistake a hard dog with handler aggressive dogs and proudly show off their war wounds. That is NOT what a hard dog is to me.

It can be handler aggressive but it doesn't have to be." (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ge ... d-dog.html)

A really great discussion on hard dogs. Another word for hard is stubborn. The dogs are so stable and sure they really don't care if you you what they're doing is wrong... And it takes a lot of correction to get through their heads.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
dogbyte
Puppy
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I have been owned by German Shepherd Dogs for over 20 years. I have come to the dark side with my first Dutch Shepherd. Rossi is an almost 11 month old female from Land of Oz kennel. I have a 10 year old GSD and an 8 year old.

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by dogbyte »

I would classify my 10yr old GSD a hard dog..He is super confident, arrogant and loves the fight..not defense, not prey, but the fight. and it's all about him in his eyes..Was told by a respected police dog trainer that he is my once in a life time and should have been on the streets...
But my Dutch is anything but hard. She is from a much earlier litter than the dog starting this thread...The same male as Riddick is out of...And i know a lot of issues are created not genetic..but many of her's appear to be genetic. That's fine with me but I can see how someone training for their own or for sale a true working dog can not take the time to work around her issues...we laugh..she doesn't have issues, she has a life time subscription. Love her
cathy,jaden,gracie & rossi with xara, chance and zoey forever snuggled deep inside my heart
Mark77
Training Dog
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 am
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by Mark77 »

D'Only also from the same Czech military/police bloodlines.
Last edited by Mark77 on Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark77
Training Dog
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 am
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by Mark77 »

Update. The guy wants me to buy her for half what he paid, simply doesn't have the time to devote to her needs. I offered to do so to keep her from being sent back to the kennel or dumped to some random owner. She is doing really well overall for an eight week old. This week she learned to go outside to the bathroom, stay in her crate up to seven hours a day, sit on command, and get along with my other dogs. She is learning faster than any other dog I've owned or it's just that I'm getting better at training dogs. My female Asia is both jealous and protective of the pup- which is just weird. Riddick could care less and the pup doesn't seem to mess with him much but does enjoy jumping on him when he's sleeping. Honestly she's a solid dog as well, no nerve issues, very alert, and wants to learn.

Riddick is a balanced dog, works hard can be stubborn but overall good temperament. Asia is very soft with handlers but very aggressive in her bite work, nearly perfect example of a balanced dog. The new baby puppy seems to be very assertive for her age- so who knows how she'll turn out but likely will be very dominant from what I'm seeing.


M
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by Raven »

Mark77 wrote:I offered to do so to keep her from being sent back to the kennel or dumped to some random owner.
:DSlove:

You'll have your hands full, but your heart will be, too.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Mark77
Training Dog
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 am
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by Mark77 »

She is fast proving her lineage. She is fearless with my other female Dutchie- goes after her but is smart enough not to tangle with Riddick because he has little tolerance for other dogs. She's housebroken now, ten weeks old. Already knows two commands and hasn't started training yet.
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sounds good so far. Keep up the structure and any commands you can teach her will be good. The the commands she knows now, super solid. Keep an eye on her and your other female. When Sadie was a pup, Thalie did most of the discipline as far as play, and even if Sadie was barking and Thalie wanted her to be quiet, Thalie would run up to Sadie and grab her snout , a few times, Sadie would try to get the upper hand and a fight broke out, They were easy to separate and Thalie would give Sadie a look like " You are sooo lucky mom broke us up!" It was really funny. I was never worried about the fight getting bad. But now Sadie knows her place. If this pup is from harder lines, I would watch them like a hawk.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

That's good! No doubly she'll be an Einstein dog, which is good and bad. Good because obedience goes easier but harder because they need more to keep them from getting bored! Good luck!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mark77
Training Dog
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 am
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by Mark77 »

Update 10/08/2014

I think she is going to be a big girl. Her paws at only 4 months old, are almost as big as Riddick's and about 30% larger than Asia's. Now Riddick weighs close to 80 pounds, so I'm thinking the pup might be a big girl at likely 65+ pounds. She is currently at around 28 pounds for 4.5 months old. Her one ear is standing now, the other, not so much. She killed a rabbit last night in the yard and ate half of it before I could get the rest away- she's very stubborn, growls at the other dogs, plays hard with them full bites etc, and alerts on everything coming around the house, I think Zoe's going to be one mean bitch. Also, she's figured out how to open the front screen door by pulling the handle latch with her foot, she can roll my office chair up to my desk so she can climb up and get the food off my plate- scary smart.

She is definitely more of a handful than my other two were but I think maybe I'm thinking back favorably when I say that, Riddick was a pain in the ass through the first year as my wife likes to remind me and he ate one of my pet birds on his first day in the house at only 13 weeks old. This little girl is already housebroken with the occasional pee accident, crate trained, knows two commands now, and comes when called by name. So we'll see. I like her and she thinks she's a lap puppy but is getting to big for that.

More pics when I can.

Mark
User avatar
racingiron1
Green Dog
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:35 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by racingiron1 »

Mark77 wrote:She killed a rabbit last night in the yard and ate half of it before I could get the rest away-
In case you're not already aware, I've been told by a friend of mine (whose dog sometimes catches and eats rabbits) that it always seems to get tapeworms after consuming the rabbit (or the fleas it carries). Hilde desperately wants to (and likely could very easily) catch one of the multitude that we see during our daily morning walks if it weren't for that pesky leash! I'm only just now getting to the point where she MIGHT listen to me after she spots one.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
dogbyte
Puppy
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I have been owned by German Shepherd Dogs for over 20 years. I have come to the dark side with my first Dutch Shepherd. Rossi is an almost 11 month old female from Land of Oz kennel. I have a 10 year old GSD and an 8 year old.

Re: Well I think I might have a new one.

Post by dogbyte »

hope you have better luck with your Oz dog than me...17 month old Rossi goes in Monday to be sedated to examine her left rear leg that has major issues....and as experienced as I am at working line pups, and all the work we did and do with her, she has to go in muzzled and the only way they can examine her leg is when she is sedated....I love her and she is the smartest pup I've ever owned, but I worry when people breed 1/2 brother to 1/2 sister on purpose...wonder if this is part of Rossi's issues....sorry...had to rant as this was my to be my "easy breed".. didn't pay much for her as she as a Craigslist find..but it is what it is......
cathy,jaden,gracie & rossi with xara, chance and zoey forever snuggled deep inside my heart
Post Reply