Reading to dogs

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Reading to dogs

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thalie and I had our first reading to dogs program tonight at the local library. It was so cute! For 15 minutes each child read to Thalie. Thalie pretty much snoozed through it but the kids had fun. One of the kids baby sisters was all over Thalie, chewing her, pulling her ear and kind of stinky :eew: but Thalie just enjoyed the whole thing.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by felixone123 »

how sweet!! Try to get some pics of the kids reading to Thalie.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Sugars Mom »

Awwww, how good of Thalie to put up with stinky kids and all. I bet she loved all the attention!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
wahinelf
Green Dog
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by wahinelf »

I would assume stinky kids are the best kind - to dogs at least. :lol:
-Aubrey

Image

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Lauren »

Lucky she didn't roll in that one! :eew: I am glad she enjoyed it!
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Lauren wrote:Lucky she didn't roll in that one! :eew:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by alspyce »

Thalie is so tolerant! Glad the debut went so well.
Did she dress up special for this important event, or just go with her fur coat?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Sugars Mom »

:lol: :lol:
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by CaroleBoaz »

That's sweet. My Laekenois just got his Therapy dog status. I don't know if we are going to any reading with dogs, but we will visit the hospital.
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Dutchringgirl »

alspyce wrote: Did she dress up special for this important event, or just go with her fur coat?
:lol: :lol: no special dress for Thalie, just her regular coat fur coat. :stickman:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Marjolein »

Dutchringgirl wrote:
Lauren wrote:Lucky she didn't roll in that one! :eew:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Sounds good, go Thalie! Ivil wants to know if it pays well? Any biskuits/bones? Or just kuddles?
Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Marjolein wrote:
Sounds good, go Thalie! Ivil wants to know if it pays well? Any biskuits/bones? Or just kuddles?
Alot of cuddles!!! Scratches, kisses and lovin' ! There is an assisted living facility we go to once a week and that is the jackpot! they make homemade cookies especially for Thalie. Ill tell Thalie to save some for Lvil but Sadie may steal them :whistle:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by alspyce »

CaroleBoaz wrote:That's sweet. My Laekenois just got his Therapy dog status. I don't know if we are going to any reading with dogs, but we will visit the hospital.
Congratulations!!!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Marjolein »

Dutchringgirl wrote:
Marjolein wrote:
Sounds good, go Thalie! Ivil wants to know if it pays well? Any biskuits/bones? Or just kuddles?
Alot of cuddles!!! Scratches, kisses and lovin' ! There is an assisted living facility we go to once a week and that is the jackpot! they make homemade cookies especially for Thalie. Ill tell Thalie to save some for Lvil but Sadie may steal them :whistle:

oooh nice, Ivil likes home made cookies... Since Sadie will steal them, Ivil will have to find her own reading group :g_wink:
Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tonights reading went well, no stinkys!! Two of the children were out sick so I chatted with the library staff. I kept getting asked " I see shepherd.. and ...what else?" What else? Dutch :duh: The ears are a giveaway but the brindle throws everyone. They asked us to also read in May !! Woohoo, she even got a cookie !!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Sugars Mom »

Wa-hoo!!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by felixone123 »

awesome!! :wtg:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by alspyce »

Now she's a star, she's going to want designer sun glasses! Good work Thalie! :cheer:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Marjolein »

Thalie, the read-a-booky get-a-cooky dog :cool: Coolest job ever according to Ivil :dssmile:
Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Reading to dogs

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Marjolein wrote:Thalie, the read-a-booky get-a-cooky dog :cool:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Post Reply