Happy! by Xena

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Happy! by Xena

Post by Lauren »

Well, you would not believe what Mom and Dad got for me! I mean, it is even better than Reindeer and treats!! What could it be, You say???

Only my new BABY BROTHER!!!! OMG I could not believe it! We went on an errand, like usual, and I figured we were going to Lowe's... But it was longer. Then we stopped and Dad went into this house and came out with the 2nd most adorable creature ever! He is ALMOST as cute as I was at that age. (but we all know THAT was pretty darn cute, so I can't blame him for falling short. ;) )
IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1063.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
Here we are. Usually Mom sits up front, but that seemed too far away for me, so we switched. Can't you tell he adores me already?
IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_1064.jpg (50.48 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
i checked with mom, "Mom, is he really coming WITH us?" Yes? YES!!!
IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1065.jpg (43.16 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
And I just couldn't stop smiling. I smiled so much my cheeks hurt. I wagged for 4 days straight!!! Mom says she has never seen me so happy in all of my life and you know, I am pretty old now. I am a whole 9 months!
IMG_1069.jpg
IMG_1069.jpg (40.56 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
On the ride home, I made sure he didn't fall. He slept and I smiled. The ride home was MUCH shorter.

Now, we do everything together. I mean the kid would be lost without me! I had to give him a boost up the step and take anything he got into straight to mom before he could have it. We hang out on the bed and play and wrestle.
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg (48.59 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
IMG_1091.jpg
IMG_1091.jpg (58.69 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
We wrestle in the greenhouse together too:
IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg (94.14 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
(ps. I am NOT losing here, I just act that way for the kid!)
IMG_1101.jpg
IMG_1101.jpg (97.26 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1124.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
I am teaching him to hang out at work. I mean they call ME a poser. pfft.
IMG_1125.jpg
IMG_1125.jpg (123.29 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
All in all he is pretty awesome. And like I said, I can not stop smiling!
IMG_1131.jpg
IMG_1131.jpg (66.65 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
(mom says something about excuse the dirty floor? :roll: )

Oh, yeah. His name is Thornwald. "A good Dutch name", Dad says... But we all call him Thor!
IMG_1158.jpg
IMG_1158.jpg (114.1 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by felixone123 »

OMG!!! Xena, your boy is so adorable, but you are still the prettiest girl ever!!

How cute is Thor!! I just want to eat him up. Xena does look very happy and they seem to get along. More pics!! I love the car shot where Xena is touching his nose - awwwwwwwwwwwww, and when they are wrestling and lying on the bed together.


Great commentary Lauren!! How long have you had the little rascal? How old? I'm guessing Xena has adjusted rather well.

Wishing you all the best!! How fun.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by Lauren »

Thanks, Barbara. He has just fit right in and made everything better.

Xena is just beside herself happy. Apollo, my old standard poodle is happy because Xena is not trying to play with him. Stan (hubby) is thrilled with his first puppy (They always had about 15 dogs in his household, but none were ever just his.). I am happy and surprised that he has a much lower energy than my girl (thank goodness) and he is learning things so quickly because she does what we ask him to do, and he copies it. And he sure is a cutie pie (with razor like alligator teeth :shock: ).

We have had him for almost 3 weeks. He is 9 weeks now. The breeder was sending everyone off earlier than we had hoped/planned/liked but it has worked out very well so far. :D
Lauren from Western NC
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by Sugars Mom »

OMG soooo cute!! Glad to hear its all working out well, boy, you are going to have your hands full with brindle beauties! Keep the pics coming!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Southernmost Dutch
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 pm
Tell us about yourself: Retired firefighter/flight paramedic and now nursing student in the Florida Keys. I will be a proud owner of an eight week old Dutch in the next twelve days and counting. I have previously owned Dobermans, Rotts, and Retrievers in the past. I intend on training the Dutch in both protection work and SAR. I'm looking forward to gaining some insight on the breed through this forum to supplement my research.

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by Southernmost Dutch »

Awesome...

I smiled the entire story. Thanks for sharing!

Tony
Tony & the "Duke of Delgado"
Southernmost Dutch, USA
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by alspyce »

How exciting! You must take more pictures!!!
(I think the potatoe chip bag is getting passed around.)
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
alexis
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by alexis »

He's precious! And they seem so happy together! Congratulations!
alexis & zane in NYC
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by GSDNanny »

Well, Congrats! What a precious pup, that Mr. Thor! Funny how Xena just cant help herself by smiling, she is definitely pleased and happy with this new addition to the fam. Keep the pics coming, they grow up so fast.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by felixone123 »

PS - love the name Thornwald!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
lisaanne
Puppy
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.
Location: kenosha

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by lisaanne »

Such a sweet story....thanks for sharing your family. I love them :love:
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan

Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by Marjolein »

AWwwww! Great story!! More!!

The name is great (not very Dutch I'm afraid, never heard of it :lol: ) and he is SO cute! We definately need more pics! :D
Image
User avatar
wahinelf
Green Dog
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by wahinelf »

OH MY WORD. Cutest ever!
-Aubrey

Image

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Xena has a partner in crime! They look so cute together. Congrats on the new addition to the family!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Drizlaru
Green Dog
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am
Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by Drizlaru »

Congratulations! Thor is a handsome pup, and Xena is always beautiful.
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
User avatar
lisaanne
Puppy
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.
Location: kenosha

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by lisaanne »

I LOVE the name Thor, for a boy pup, that is. lol Actually, the family down the block from us named their new baby boy Thor a few months ago, not sure I like it for a human boy. It's the name of a Germanic God of THUNDER. Thor is also mentioned quite a bit in Norse Mythology.....I also read that the name Thor refers to the day Thursday. (?) Thor was a very common name among men in the Viking Times, in defiance of Christianity. Anyways, there are lots of stories about Thor, and I think its a great, strong, masculine name.....
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan

Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by Schlussdibusti »

and in Germany a soccer goal is called "Tor". If you ever take him to a big German soccer game or near it and everybody screems "Tor", he will think 50,000 or so people are calling him! :lol: :lol: (not very likely but still funny)
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by Lauren »

Thank you all. We are smitten. :love:

Marjolein, don't tell Stan about the name thing. He spent hours researching because although he wanted to call him Thor, he didn't want him to be named after a ruthless god. :roll:

He named Xena, too but didn't seem to care that I was getting independent, wild, warrior!
He is growing SO fast! I will post more pics soon!
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by felixone123 »

I believe that Odin is the father of Thor in Norse Mythology :D
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Isis
Puppy
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:56 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a life long dog owner who enjoys dog sports and PPT, I own a Dutch Shepherd, a German Shepherd and a Standard Schnauzer.

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by Isis »

wahinelf wrote:OH MY WORD. Cutest ever!
DITTO!!!! I can see the happiness just BEAMING off Xena!!!
Gia and Panzer (Dutch Shepherd)

Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Happy! by Xena

Post by Marjolein »

Lauren wrote:Thank you all. We are smitten. :love:

Marjolein, don't tell Stan about the name thing. He spent hours researching because although he wanted to call him Thor, he didn't want him to be named after a ruthless god. :roll:
haha, I'll never tell, bummer it's on the net now :? :lol:
Image
Post Reply