I am trying to fly a 5 month old pup that must go in a 500 to El Paso within the next couple weeks. United and American are using smaller planes and only taking 400's in the immediate future. I tried different airports in surrounding states to no avail. Does anyone know of an airline or ground transport that will accomodate a 500? The pups destination is the Silver City, NM area. I have never had a problem in previous years flying dogs out in 500's. I'm guessing the gas prices are causing this ?!
This pup is a thank you gift for a dear friend and former DS breeder. I want to get this guy to a wonderful person/new mom but didn't think it would be such a problem.
flight that will take a 500?
-
jeeharbor
- Puppy
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Joyce Earle McCluskey. My husband and I train and compete in the Ringsports. My husband, Mac, has Malinois and is a certified Mondio Decoy. I have 2 Dutch Shepherds. My male, Ry, is titled in PSA, Mondio, French and NVBK along with UKC obedience. My husband will be trialing him this year due to me being home with our newborn daughter. My female is a year and is in training and won't compete for at least a year.
flight that will take a 500?
Joyce Earle McCluskey
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: flight that will take a 500?
I have flown 500s out of United/Continental, but had to be flexible about airports. They won't fly out of Nashville, but can out of Atlanta and Louisville (both about 3 hours for me). So you might want to look at other airports with in driving distance. I know NADSR has had good luck with Frontier - although it is more costly. Alaska Airlines has always been great about 500s, but I don't know if they fly anywhere near you.
Good luck and please let us know what works.
Good luck and please let us know what works.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
-
jeeharbor
- Puppy
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Joyce Earle McCluskey. My husband and I train and compete in the Ringsports. My husband, Mac, has Malinois and is a certified Mondio Decoy. I have 2 Dutch Shepherds. My male, Ry, is titled in PSA, Mondio, French and NVBK along with UKC obedience. My husband will be trialing him this year due to me being home with our newborn daughter. My female is a year and is in training and won't compete for at least a year.
Re: flight that will take a 500?
Thank Christie, I tried airports that were 3 states away with no luck. I was told it goes upon scheduled flights and now is a quieter time for flying. I may have to wait until closer to a holiday. I will check Frontier as more costly may be not an issue if its the only option.
Joyce Earle McCluskey
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: flight that will take a 500?
I'm curious why you are shipping a puppy in such a large crate? Just how big is the "puppy?"
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: flight that will take a 500?
They posted on Facebook that the dog is about 60 pounds. Going to be a monstericvanstra wrote:I'm curious why you are shipping a puppy in such a large crate? Just how big is the "puppy?"
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
-
jeeharbor
- Puppy
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Joyce Earle McCluskey. My husband and I train and compete in the Ringsports. My husband, Mac, has Malinois and is a certified Mondio Decoy. I have 2 Dutch Shepherds. My male, Ry, is titled in PSA, Mondio, French and NVBK along with UKC obedience. My husband will be trialing him this year due to me being home with our newborn daughter. My female is a year and is in training and won't compete for at least a year.
Re: flight that will take a 500?
Good news, Delta came through. Delta goes from Boston to Atlanta to El Paso. My husband and I put word out last night on various dog forums and facebook and people came through with suggestions. A big thank you to everyone. I had only used continental years gone by and never had a problem booking a flight for a 500. Nice to have Delta available. Booking the flight was very simple and the person on the phone was very, very helpful and so pleasant! This is a nice ending to a previously frustrating situation.
Joyce Earle McCluskey


Facebook page.