Page 1 of 1
flight that will take a 500?
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:31 pm
by jeeharbor
I am trying to fly a 5 month old pup that must go in a 500 to El Paso within the next couple weeks. United and American are using smaller planes and only taking 400's in the immediate future. I tried different airports in surrounding states to no avail. Does anyone know of an airline or ground transport that will accomodate a 500? The pups destination is the Silver City, NM area. I have never had a problem in previous years flying dogs out in 500's. I'm guessing the gas prices are causing this ?!
This pup is a thank you gift for a dear friend and former DS breeder. I want to get this guy to a wonderful person/new mom but didn't think it would be such a problem.
Re: flight that will take a 500?
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:01 pm
by Christie M
I have flown 500s out of United/Continental, but had to be flexible about airports. They won't fly out of Nashville, but can out of Atlanta and Louisville (both about 3 hours for me). So you might want to look at other airports with in driving distance. I know NADSR has had good luck with Frontier - although it is more costly. Alaska Airlines has always been great about 500s, but I don't know if they fly anywhere near you.
Good luck and please let us know what works.
Re: flight that will take a 500?
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:19 pm
by jeeharbor
Thank Christie, I tried airports that were 3 states away with no luck. I was told it goes upon scheduled flights and now is a quieter time for flying. I may have to wait until closer to a holiday. I will check Frontier as more costly may be not an issue if its the only option.
Re: flight that will take a 500?
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:24 am
by icvanstra
I'm curious why you are shipping a puppy in such a large crate? Just how big is the "puppy?"
Re: flight that will take a 500?
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:30 am
by Christie M
icvanstra wrote:I'm curious why you are shipping a puppy in such a large crate? Just how big is the "puppy?"
They posted on Facebook that the dog is about 60 pounds. Going to be a monster

Besides that though, I have had more and more problems shipping dogs in a normal sized crate. For some airlines, if the tip on their ears can touch the top at all....they won't ship. Its ridiculous.
Re: flight that will take a 500?
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:25 pm
by jeeharbor
Good news, Delta came through. Delta goes from Boston to Atlanta to El Paso. My husband and I put word out last night on various dog forums and facebook and people came through with suggestions. A big thank you to everyone. I had only used continental years gone by and never had a problem booking a flight for a 500. Nice to have Delta available. Booking the flight was very simple and the person on the phone was very, very helpful and so pleasant! This is a nice ending to a previously frustrating situation.