Puppy Names - Take 2

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Christie M »

So Marta got me thinking....I need help with puppy names too.
I need help coming up with creative names for the pups we are keeping and raising for K9. I need help coming up with something perfect for the little girl I want to keep. And I would like to offer some suggestions to owners if they are stuck.

In the past, I have had 2 Northwoods litters. They either had an A or B call name, with a creative registered name. Or just an A or B registered name. I kinda like words that go with the Northwoods theme, or Dutch words that sound like good names (not necessarily Dutch names).

My girl will be from my C litter, but I need both C and D names. Here are past names.

Nicky's Willow Leif - Nicky was her sire and a well known KNPV dog. Willow goes with Northwoods. Leif (I read online) is Dutch for beautiful/pretty....and it was cool after Willow. Leif/leaf - you get the pun :-)

Vrijheid's Geisha Leif - Asheley's kennel name. Geisha is a beautiful Japanese woman and a PLANT. Leif for the reasons above and because she was Willow's niece.

A- Litter
Northwoods First in Line (call name Atlas) - refering to the Atlas and Axis of the spine
Northwoods Bite on Target (call name Aarow)
Northwoods Axel

B- Litter
Northwoods Brandy
Northwoods Blitz
Northwoods Bolder
Northwoods On the Edge (call name Brink)
Northwoods Task at Hand (call name Balen)
Northwoods Never Better (call name Bliss)
Northwoods Kiss My Brass (call name Brass)


Would LOVE some creative suggestions. I wonder if there are any cool woodsy Dutch c or D words that would also make neat names?
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Choochi »

Hmmmm... so you want call names for A,B, C and D? ...which can be made into cool registered names

I'm gonna pull out my name list and put on the thinking cap!
Choochi
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Sugars Mom »

Here's a question from someone who knows nothing about naming litters...why do they all have to start with the same letter? Does A litter mean first litter, B second, etc? Just curious!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Sugars Mom »

And BTW, you had some great names for your A and B litters!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Christie M »

Marta - thank you for helping :D The A and B litters are already names (8yrs and 6yrs respectively). I need C and D names.

Sue - it is a tradition over here to name the pups alphabetically based on litter. I don't breed a ton, so I would probably remember the specifics of each litter just based on a pups name. But some people who breed more use it to make it easier to keep track of who is the parent...etc.

I believe in Europe (or parts of) they assign a letter to the year. So all pups born in that year are named with that letter so you can easily track the birth dates (or at least birth year).
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by icvanstra »

Cino of course is a GREAT C name!
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by felixone123 »

Christie - what perfect little girl are you keeping? Is it the Mal that I love?
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Choochi »

Ok I'm dumping my C and D's :D

Actually now that I looked at my list I don't have that many for those letters

C
Cairo
Candy
Cash
Cato
Cavaletti
Cesar
Chili
Chip
Coach
Cora
Clutch
Crash
Crack
Crunch
Cyene
Chomp

D
Diem
Duzie
Drzazga (splinter in polish)
Doortje, gift of God; and, divine gift in Dutch
Choochi
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Choochi »

Cas/Casper
Coba
Cobra
Cookie
Constantine (not much of a call name but maybe you can work with it)
Claudia
Cleo
Cornelia
Cali
Carrera
Carl
Carlos
Caleen
Cypres
Cobus
Coartlan
Case
Cecilia
Cartouche
Cowboy
Caro
Cayo
Chevy
Combat
Caracalla
Candy Ride
Claude
Certify
Cherimoya
Camarero
Camaro
Cofressi
Condado
Curraco
Camarine
Citation
Carbine
Carbon
Curley
Comply or Die (lol Enlish jumper horse)

Daphne
Dom
Dora
Dutch :D
Damien
Demi
Dingo
Djarno
Divine
Djaiko
Dunja
Drie
Devon
Deux
Duce
Duke
Dino
Diesel
Duco
Dice
Danzig
Desert Gold
Dahlia
Dante
Dolan
Dulan
Dandi
Decker


http://browse.dict.cc/dutch-english/C-1.php
http://www.babynology.com/dutch_babynames.html
http://www.20000-names.com/female_dutch_names.htm (not much there under Dutch for your letters but maybe you'll find some thing else under the other languages, I like this site as it gives meanings)
http://www.horses-and-horse-information ... es/d.shtml

and just cos this is a good laugh: http://www.faniq.com/blog/The-Dirtiest- ... -Blog-8579
Last edited by Choochi on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choochi
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Sugars Mom »

ha ha I love "Chomp"!! That sound very Dutch-like!

Christie, thanks for explaining about the letters for litters.
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Choochi »

+ Cha Chi :)
Choochi
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Christie M »

felixone123 wrote:Christie - what perfect little girl are you keeping? Is it the Mal that I love?
Hey Barbara,

No. Although the fawn girl is pretty, she is not super drivy and is a faulty color for a Dutch. Given the limited number of space in our home, and the LARGE amount of dogs we already have, I can only keep back dogs thatw ill hopefully contribute to our breeding program. So it must be great working quality, and appropriate color for breeding.

At this point, it is between Cherry Blossom, Spring Time and MAYBE Tickled Pick - but probably between the first two. It depends on how they act over the course of the next two weeks. They are getting separated from the litter and crated on their own. I will be doing stuff with them just one on one, have them with my older dogs and taking them places alone. I want to see how their personalities flourish in that environment before I decide.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Christie M »

Choochi wrote:Ok I'm dumping my C and D's :D

Actually now that I looked at my list I don't have that many for those letters
You are awesome!!! Thank you so much for all of the suggestion.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Choochi »

Haha :D Just tell me when you're ready for the next letters :P
Choochi
User avatar
feraloup
Training Dog
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Location: VT

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by feraloup »

*lol* "Constantine" could be adapted to "Tino" as a call name... ?
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by alspyce »

Cedar (as in tree) / Cinder (burning or burned tree?) / Chamomile (plant--herb) / or the names of spices---cinnamon, Chili, Cayenne, etc.

Dogwood, Davidia, Desert Rose

Or pick one word with the chosen letter and any name that someone want to add to it, like Desert + (rose, sky, etc.).
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Sugars Mom »

Where were you guys when we were naming Sugar? :lol:
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Christie M »

One name determined.

Northwoods Feel the Burn - call name "Char."
Her owner Jennifer also competes in Fitness and Body Building Competitions, so it has a few meanings. I told her she can just say it to the decoys when Char leaves a bruise..... "Feel the Burn." :lol:
Attachments
IMG_4354.JPG
IMG_4354.JPG (29.06 KiB) Viewed 9717 times
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Marjolein »

wow, pretty pic of handsome puppy and proud new owner :DScool: Good name ;)
Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Post by Christie M »

My puppy will be named Northwoods Cipres Lief.

Other chosen names so far are:
Northwoods Designed to Make a Discovery (call name Dori)
Northwoods Speaking Dutch (call name Dutch - he acknowledges that its not very original)

Obviously from the D-litter.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Post Reply