Page 1 of 2

Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 am
by Christie M
So Marta got me thinking....I need help with puppy names too.
I need help coming up with creative names for the pups we are keeping and raising for K9. I need help coming up with something perfect for the little girl I want to keep. And I would like to offer some suggestions to owners if they are stuck.

In the past, I have had 2 Northwoods litters. They either had an A or B call name, with a creative registered name. Or just an A or B registered name. I kinda like words that go with the Northwoods theme, or Dutch words that sound like good names (not necessarily Dutch names).

My girl will be from my C litter, but I need both C and D names. Here are past names.

Nicky's Willow Leif - Nicky was her sire and a well known KNPV dog. Willow goes with Northwoods. Leif (I read online) is Dutch for beautiful/pretty....and it was cool after Willow. Leif/leaf - you get the pun :-)

Vrijheid's Geisha Leif - Asheley's kennel name. Geisha is a beautiful Japanese woman and a PLANT. Leif for the reasons above and because she was Willow's niece.

A- Litter
Northwoods First in Line (call name Atlas) - refering to the Atlas and Axis of the spine
Northwoods Bite on Target (call name Aarow)
Northwoods Axel

B- Litter
Northwoods Brandy
Northwoods Blitz
Northwoods Bolder
Northwoods On the Edge (call name Brink)
Northwoods Task at Hand (call name Balen)
Northwoods Never Better (call name Bliss)
Northwoods Kiss My Brass (call name Brass)


Would LOVE some creative suggestions. I wonder if there are any cool woodsy Dutch c or D words that would also make neat names?

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm
by Choochi
Hmmmm... so you want call names for A,B, C and D? ...which can be made into cool registered names

I'm gonna pull out my name list and put on the thinking cap!

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:22 pm
by Sugars Mom
Here's a question from someone who knows nothing about naming litters...why do they all have to start with the same letter? Does A litter mean first litter, B second, etc? Just curious!

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:23 pm
by Sugars Mom
And BTW, you had some great names for your A and B litters!

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:59 pm
by Christie M
Marta - thank you for helping :D The A and B litters are already names (8yrs and 6yrs respectively). I need C and D names.

Sue - it is a tradition over here to name the pups alphabetically based on litter. I don't breed a ton, so I would probably remember the specifics of each litter just based on a pups name. But some people who breed more use it to make it easier to keep track of who is the parent...etc.

I believe in Europe (or parts of) they assign a letter to the year. So all pups born in that year are named with that letter so you can easily track the birth dates (or at least birth year).

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:17 pm
by icvanstra
Cino of course is a GREAT C name!

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:15 pm
by felixone123
Christie - what perfect little girl are you keeping? Is it the Mal that I love?

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:02 pm
by Choochi
Ok I'm dumping my C and D's :D

Actually now that I looked at my list I don't have that many for those letters

C
Cairo
Candy
Cash
Cato
Cavaletti
Cesar
Chili
Chip
Coach
Cora
Clutch
Crash
Crack
Crunch
Cyene
Chomp

D
Diem
Duzie
Drzazga (splinter in polish)
Doortje, gift of God; and, divine gift in Dutch

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:28 pm
by Choochi
Cas/Casper
Coba
Cobra
Cookie
Constantine (not much of a call name but maybe you can work with it)
Claudia
Cleo
Cornelia
Cali
Carrera
Carl
Carlos
Caleen
Cypres
Cobus
Coartlan
Case
Cecilia
Cartouche
Cowboy
Caro
Cayo
Chevy
Combat
Caracalla
Candy Ride
Claude
Certify
Cherimoya
Camarero
Camaro
Cofressi
Condado
Curraco
Camarine
Citation
Carbine
Carbon
Curley
Comply or Die (lol Enlish jumper horse)

Daphne
Dom
Dora
Dutch :D
Damien
Demi
Dingo
Djarno
Divine
Djaiko
Dunja
Drie
Devon
Deux
Duce
Duke
Dino
Diesel
Duco
Dice
Danzig
Desert Gold
Dahlia
Dante
Dolan
Dulan
Dandi
Decker


http://browse.dict.cc/dutch-english/C-1.php
http://www.babynology.com/dutch_babynames.html
http://www.20000-names.com/female_dutch_names.htm (not much there under Dutch for your letters but maybe you'll find some thing else under the other languages, I like this site as it gives meanings)
http://www.horses-and-horse-information ... es/d.shtml

and just cos this is a good laugh: http://www.faniq.com/blog/The-Dirtiest- ... -Blog-8579

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:34 pm
by Sugars Mom
ha ha I love "Chomp"!! That sound very Dutch-like!

Christie, thanks for explaining about the letters for litters.

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 pm
by Choochi
+ Cha Chi :)

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:43 pm
by Christie M
felixone123 wrote:Christie - what perfect little girl are you keeping? Is it the Mal that I love?
Hey Barbara,

No. Although the fawn girl is pretty, she is not super drivy and is a faulty color for a Dutch. Given the limited number of space in our home, and the LARGE amount of dogs we already have, I can only keep back dogs thatw ill hopefully contribute to our breeding program. So it must be great working quality, and appropriate color for breeding.

At this point, it is between Cherry Blossom, Spring Time and MAYBE Tickled Pick - but probably between the first two. It depends on how they act over the course of the next two weeks. They are getting separated from the litter and crated on their own. I will be doing stuff with them just one on one, have them with my older dogs and taking them places alone. I want to see how their personalities flourish in that environment before I decide.

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 pm
by Christie M
Choochi wrote:Ok I'm dumping my C and D's :D

Actually now that I looked at my list I don't have that many for those letters
You are awesome!!! Thank you so much for all of the suggestion.

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:08 pm
by Choochi
Haha :D Just tell me when you're ready for the next letters :P

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:26 pm
by feraloup
*lol* "Constantine" could be adapted to "Tino" as a call name... ?

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:34 pm
by alspyce
Cedar (as in tree) / Cinder (burning or burned tree?) / Chamomile (plant--herb) / or the names of spices---cinnamon, Chili, Cayenne, etc.

Dogwood, Davidia, Desert Rose

Or pick one word with the chosen letter and any name that someone want to add to it, like Desert + (rose, sky, etc.).

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:10 pm
by Sugars Mom
Where were you guys when we were naming Sugar? :lol:

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:51 am
by Christie M
One name determined.

Northwoods Feel the Burn - call name "Char."
Her owner Jennifer also competes in Fitness and Body Building Competitions, so it has a few meanings. I told her she can just say it to the decoys when Char leaves a bruise..... "Feel the Burn." :lol:

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 pm
by Marjolein
wow, pretty pic of handsome puppy and proud new owner :DScool: Good name ;)

Re: Puppy Names - Take 2

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:32 pm
by Christie M
My puppy will be named Northwoods Cipres Lief.

Other chosen names so far are:
Northwoods Designed to Make a Discovery (call name Dori)
Northwoods Speaking Dutch (call name Dutch - he acknowledges that its not very original)

Obviously from the D-litter.