Video of Stella's stay command

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
katm4110
Green Dog
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 pm
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

Video of Stella's stay command

Post by katm4110 »

So here's a video of Stella's platz and stay. I have been practicing this in the entry way of our house ever since the incident with the sales person. She's really doing good. My husband got her this furry water bottle toy at menards over the weekend. We put it up and she only gets it as a reward. We let her watch us put it in this really low cabinet and it makes her REALLY want it.... so I get her excited about the toy take it make her platz then I go by the door and drop it. She doesn't move until I say "free" ill practice this with someone knocking on the door this weekend. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She seems to really respond well to furry toys in place of treats. I can't wait for the fleece/rabbit fur tug to get here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT6ffVMheys
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
User avatar
feraloup
Training Dog
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Location: VT

Re: Video of Stella's stay command

Post by feraloup »

Nice work! :) I'm catching up, finally on postings, today, as my 5-year old son is home from school with a fever. He was up all night coughing. Poor buddy. (Last week I was up all night with new puppy, now it's up all night with the human one! :lol: )

The bonus is that we are getting some extra play and bonding time with the day off.

Stella's such a pretty girl, and so clearly eager to please you! :)

My only feedback suggestion would be to try not to repeat your commands too much... Say it once, and praise when she does it, but don't say it again as a reminder unless she breaks the command before you release her... if that happens I usually say "wrong" and see if they fix themself, and if not, I reset them, give the command again (once) and maybe try for a shorter time or distance before giving release and praise. And after solid successes with shorter distance/time, then try for longer.

You weren't excessive about it, you're doing great with her! :) Just something to be aware of.

I've seen some folks backing away from their dogs going "stay, stay, stayyyyy.... Stay! Stay... " And basically the dog thinks if they stop saying it then they must not have to keep doing it. :eye roll:

Other times dogs get to thinking if you don't repeat it then you must not really mean it. You want them to respond to you the first time you say it, not learn to tune you out because you're just saying the same thing repetetively. (Think of your kid going "Mom, mom, mom, moooom, hey mom? Mom? Mom! Mommy... :lol: )
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
User avatar
katm4110
Green Dog
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 pm
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

Re: Video of Stella's stay command

Post by katm4110 »

Thanks, Autumn! Good point about repeating myself, didn't even realize I was doing it! Should I point at her as I back away? Again not sure why I do that either lol
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
User avatar
katm4110
Green Dog
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 pm
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

Re: Video of Stella's stay command

Post by katm4110 »

Autumn, so glad you pointed that out.... she did great with out me repeating myself!

Here's platz and stay take 2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUspUZ-K8Dw
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Video of Stella's stay command

Post by Dutchringgirl »

very good !!!! After a while, hide the toy. You can have friends come to the door and knock or what ever then work with Stella with what you want her to do.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Video of Stella's stay command

Post by Choochi »

katm4110 wrote:Thanks, Autumn! Good point about repeating myself, didn't even realize I was doing it! Should I point at her as I back away? Again not sure why I do that either lol

I wouldn't. If your ultimate goal is for her to listen quickly and reliably when you give her a command, don't build in any of those other things as crutches, the repeated commands, the harsher tone of voice, the pointing, ah-ah's, etc. You're much better off saying the command once (I don't even train the word stay, to me a down means you stay in that position until you are released) in a normal tone of voice and then work very gradually on building duration and building distance (do these separately to ensure success). Take your time and do it right, no point in rushing towards an end goal if it means shoddy training that you will have to fix later (which means will take longer in the long run).

But great job!!! I love how your son is trying to help, that was cute :)
Choochi
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Video of Stella's stay command

Post by Choochi »

katm4110 wrote:Autumn, so glad you pointed that out.... she did great with out me repeating myself!

Here's platz and stay take 2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUspUZ-K8Dw

That's awesome :) Some times it's the person that needs the confidence in knowing that yes their dog can do this :P
Choochi
User avatar
katm4110
Green Dog
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 pm
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

Re: Video of Stella's stay command

Post by katm4110 »

As usual I'm astonished at how fast this dog learns. Thanks for the great feedback... I'm focusing on using just verbal commands (sometimes I have to point down to get her to platz) and using normal tone. She does do this with no reward. How often should I use the toy? This furry toy is like gold to her... she goes nuts for it.... I only let her have it in very short intervals.

Oh and how often do I work on this? Today I've been doing it off and on just once or twice then I put the toy up while she's still excited.

She doesn't do this awesome at the trainer... hopefully if we work on it enough at home she'll start doing better there. I think his dogs are just too distracting for her, but she needs to be socialized and learn to ignore other dogs so I guess it's good that we continue training at his facility instead of having him come to our home?
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Video of Stella's stay command

Post by LyonsFamily »

katm4110 wrote: Oh and how often do I work on this? Today I've been doing it off and on just once or twice then I put the toy up while she's still excited.
I typically suggestion doing 15 minute intervals at a time. How often you practice is up to you, but you can also incorporate it into different daily activities to get more real life practice. Ex) have Stella practice down stays while you make her dinner, then release her once you put it down, have her do it while you put on shoes for a walk, or when you use the restroom, have her down stay outside the door until you return.

One thing I'd recommend based on the videos is having your kids work FOR you a bit more, rather than with you. Your son looks very eager to help you in the video, and that's great, but he often repeated your command which can make things a little less clear for the dog when you're trying to work on a response after only 1 word. You can incorporate the kids as distractions during the stay though. Since you have 5, they would probably have a lot of fun with it, coming up with new games and ideas. Have them remain quiet until after you give Stella the clear down stay. That way she knows you're in charge at the moment, and to remain focused on your signals. The kids can make noises or claps hands, roll toys in front of her, etc as soon as she's been told to stay.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
katm4110
Green Dog
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 pm
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

Re: Video of Stella's stay command

Post by katm4110 »

LyonsFamily wrote:
katm4110 wrote:
I typically suggestion doing 15 minute intervals at a time. How often you practice is up to you, but you can also incorporate it into different daily activities to get more real life practice. Ex) have Stella practice down stays while you make her dinner, then release her once you put it down, have her do it while you put on shoes for a walk, or when you use the restroom, have her down stay outside the door until you return.

One thing I'd recommend based on the videos is having your kids work FOR you a bit more, rather than with you. Your son looks very eager to help you in the video, and that's great, but he often repeated your command which can make things a little less clear for the dog when you're trying to work on a response after only 1 word. You can incorporate the kids as distractions during the stay though. Since you have 5, they would probably have a lot of fun with it, coming up with new games and ideas. Have them remain quiet until after you give Stella the clear down stay. That way she knows you're in charge at the moment, and to remain focused on your signals. The kids can make noises or claps hands, roll toys in front of her, etc as soon as she's been told to stay.
Oh great idea! Last night I had all 3 of my boys try and distract her. She stayed focused on me while they ran around and rolled toy trucks back and forth. She did get up when we tossed her toy squirrel over her to each other but only once. I just started over got her down and we did it again (shorter time) and then released her. My kids are having a blast with this!
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
Post Reply