Teachable Moments

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
feraloup
Training Dog
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Location: VT

Teachable Moments

Post by feraloup »

I've taken to bringing Mokume with me to my martial arts classes, (he hangs in the jeep during class, *lol*) and the school we attend (my son and I,) is behind a car rental place and an autobody shop, with a busy road out front, and a wooded path and brook at the back, with large parking lot area along either side. While my son does the kids' class, I work with Moko and do training stuff until the adult classes. There are great agility obstacles and noises and comings and goings, so many opportunities for distraction-work.

Motorcycles whizzing by on the road when we're driving, along with several other triggers, are still a work-in-progress with his reactivity issues. The other day, there was a whole bunch of motorcycles all lined up along the side of the building and a bunch of burly guys working on them and washing them. I left Mokume at my jeep and approached them to ask if they'd mind if I brought my reactive dog by to check out the bikes and them and they were all happy to help. I then gave them a brief explanation of how to act, (don't reach for him, don't try to pet him, but to just calmly appear to ignore him and let him inspect them, and not to make any move to engage with him unless I prompt them to.) So, muzzled, Moko and I did some up-close motorcycle inspection and greets with big unfamiliar menfolk. :) It went really well! He sniffed over the bikes and paced around from gent to gent, checking them out and getting many admiring compliments from them, and even accepting some cheese (I handed to them,) and pats from one or two of them. (If he's over threshold it doesn't matter what treat is offered, he's too nerved up to eat.)

Later that same day, we wandered around Pet Food Warehouse on a very busy day/time and he came almost nose-to-nose, only about a foot apart, with unfamiliar dogs several times as we navigated the aisles and not once did he flip out, and he was responsive to practice commands of "sit" and "down" and able to take treats. I'm really proud of the strides he's making.

Maybe next time the motorcycle club is around I'll ask one of them to start one of the bikes up and let it idle before we approach so it's making noise when he inspects it.
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
ICE
Training Dog
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:32 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Re: Teachable Moments

Post by ICE »

Wonderful story!!! THanks for sharing!!!
Patty and Ice
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Teachable Moments

Post by Sugars Mom »

Ya for Moko!! :w00t:
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Post Reply