Here is a weird question?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Here is a weird question?

Post by HeatherH »

I don't know if anyone notices this or not? When Dutch was a pup everyone looked at Dutch's feet and said those are huge feet. He’s going to be a huge dog. He's not, he's long I'll give you that and large ears that are radar for a mile long. I can attest to that If I whistle from one end of the conservation and he's out with Greg he can hear me and come Greg attached and all he can't hold him.

What breeding purpose would those feet and ears be? Usually when I look at a breed I can say yep that make sense. Whit him and other pics of puppies on here the feet they don't grow into they're there just to dog in stubbornly when they don't want to go anywhere.

Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Here is a weird question?

Post by johninny »

yes, they really do dig in with those big feet and get very stubborn. i have also had DS that really treat their front paws more like hands. very dexterous! one example: catching basketballs in the air between the paws and holding all the way to the ground, then wrapping arms around it to defend it as one would a football.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Here is a weird question?

Post by Raven »

Puppy feet generally look big. Wolves have long, knuckled toes with some webbing, designed for traction/tearing up ground while running. My Thor's feet look like they belong on a wolf. If DSs were originally intended to be versatile working dogs for farmers (along with herding), this type of design makes sense.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Here is a weird question?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

you wanna see big feet? Look at my parents Basset LOL. I would think the big ears would help them hear any predetor coming for the sheep they used to watch, now its for when we say "cookie!" or " outside!"
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Here is a weird question?

Post by Raven »

Big ears are designed (when nature does the breeding) to allow heat to escape. Breeders bred Basset ears "upside-down" so they could get a cheap laugh when the dogs tripped on them. It's all the trapped heat in their heads that make them so :doh: (I like Bassets...excellent dogs to fantasize about when it's been a trying DS day.)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Here is a weird question?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Raven wrote:Big ears are designed (when nature does the breeding) to allow heat to escape. Breeders bred Basset ears "upside-down" so they could get a cheap laugh when the dogs tripped on them. It's all the trapped heat in their heads that make them so :doh: (I like Bassets...excellent dogs to fantasize about when it's been a trying DS day.)
HAHAHAHA another coffee spitting out moment. !! Try living with them LOL. They are truly the funnest breed. They always make you laugh.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Revhendo
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm
Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....

Kevin

Re: Here is a weird question?

Post by Revhendo »

Don't forget, Bassets are great lap dogs....

Image
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Here is a weird question?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

They also make great Pillows !!
IMG_1927.JPG
IMG_1927.JPG (2.81 MiB) Viewed 1102 times
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Post Reply