Blue Dutch Shepherd

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
nvd
Puppy
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Name is Nick, I am Canadian and my background is Dutch.
I love dogs and animals in general. I have always wanted a DS.
So now im in the process to educate my self on them before I
take the plunge! - Now I have one! not like any other dog thats
forsure!
Location: Waterford, Ontario

Blue Dutch Shepherd

Post by nvd »

Hi,

We possibly have the oppurtunity to get a 1 year old blue dutchy! My question is, what is the difference between a normal DS and a Blue DS? is it just the coat and the rest of the dog is the same, ie energy, intelligence etc? or is this an actual "mix" between 2 dogs?

she is a female if that matters..

the one we are looking into getting was bread for protection but is lacking the courage so they are looking to find a family to have her as a pet.

Any input?

Thanks!
Nick V.
Dutch Shepherd - Tyson - Born June 12, 2014
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Blue Dutch Shepherd

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I would think the biggest difference is..........you would see a blue streak running through the house instead of a brindle streak. :DSlove:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Blue Dutch Shepherd

Post by johninny »

yes, it is - just the look that is different. if DS then all DS irrespective of blue. Chercar kennels has a 'what is a blue DS' or something like that on their website.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Post Reply