growth
-
deadrabbits
- Puppy
- Posts: 68
- Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: First Dutch owned. Was bought for my daughter and the family. Currently going through obedience classes. I am former military and currently working for a law enforcement agency. Have had labs most of my life and a friend introduced me to his Dutch and my family fell in love. Our current one is a female named pepper and is just now 3 months old. I would like to possibly train her for search and rescue
- Location: Buckeye AZ
growth
I wasn't sure where to post this. At what general age does the dog fully develop it's body mass. I feel like pepper is all leg still and her muscle mass isn't increasing as much as her length and height. When she's hungry she eats like a pig and she eats a high protein diet so I don't think that she is being deprived of the right fuel to let her grow. I do know that lean and fit is best for her frame and she isn't going to be a tank.
Casey and pepper----- Mr H's long lost sister
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: growth
they grow til about 18 months. of course, like the rest of us, they ''fill out'' over their lives depending on diet and exercise. but i think the positive, muscular filling out that you refer to is mostly after 12 months.
after turning 12 months in Feb, Xander had a huge growth spurt for 3 months - and in the latter part of that period and the month since has been filling out to look more like a ferocious and powerful adult, though he still has the demeanor of a puppy most of the time.
after turning 12 months in Feb, Xander had a huge growth spurt for 3 months - and in the latter part of that period and the month since has been filling out to look more like a ferocious and powerful adult, though he still has the demeanor of a puppy most of the time.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: growth
usually they keep getting a bit wider in the chest as they get older. Sadie is all legs too and very lean.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- Owned-By-Hendrix
- Training Dog
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
- Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.
Re: growth
How old is Pepper now? 8-10 months? H was all legs until about 8-9 months (so just recently) and he suddenly started filling out. Still growing upwards now but getting more mass so he's almost proportional… ish.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: growth
Thor was 18-months when I adopted him. His chest grew wider in the months that followed, which is what Lisa referenced in her post. He also gained some bulk/mass (muscle?).
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
-
deadrabbits
- Puppy
- Posts: 68
- Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: First Dutch owned. Was bought for my daughter and the family. Currently going through obedience classes. I am former military and currently working for a law enforcement agency. Have had labs most of my life and a friend introduced me to his Dutch and my family fell in love. Our current one is a female named pepper and is just now 3 months old. I would like to possibly train her for search and rescue
- Location: Buckeye AZ
Re: growth
She just turned 8 months. I thought it was around 2 years or so until they reached there full size. I was just concerned that I wasn't giving her the right stuff to help her grow at first.
Casey and pepper----- Mr H's long lost sister
- Owned-By-Hendrix
- Training Dog
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
- Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.
Re: growth
One day you'll look at her and wonder where all those muscles suddenly came from.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)


Facebook page.