How to locate a breeder

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
Texas Dog 81
Just Whelped
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a pretty active guy that enjoys having canine companions with me. I have an 8 year old female GSD and a 12 year old half lab half golden male.

How to locate a breeder

Post by Texas Dog 81 »

Hi all,

I posted in the new members section but I'm not sure if that will get as much traffic so I'm reposting here as well. I didn't see a post on FAQ for finding a breeders but if I've missed it please just let me know. I've already enjoyed reading some of the threads on here and looking for to doing more of the same. Here's my previous post:


I'm in the early process of looking for a DS breeder. We have a 12 year old male half lab half golden and an 8 year old female GSD. Sadly, our GSD has developed degenerative myelopathy in the past year and is not doing well. She's a great dog and my 3 year old son calls her "my Zoe". When the time comes I'd like to find a reputable breeder that I can trust. I'm trying to educate myself on what I need to be looking for so any help would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't appear that there is anyone near me breeding so finding a breeder at distance is a bit daunting.

It's probably helpful for me to say what I'm looking for in a DS. We're an active family and I'm more so. We live near a lake and I run routinely out there. I'm also into traditional archery and shoot a longbow. I spend a good bit of time out in the field and want a dog that can accompany me and also work as a blood tracker. I don't foresee doing any bite work per se but I do want a dog that is both family protection but also social and can go with us anywhere and everywhere. My in laws have 35 acres 1.5 hours west of Dallas with lots of room to run, train, and swim. I'm looking for an active, intelligent, and eager to train dog.

Especially with my 3 year old son I'd like a puppy that we can start from scratch with and train and socialize rather than a rescue/foster this time. Thanks so much for any help in advance!

Zane
- Zane
shana
Puppy
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hey all im a dutch addict :) lol we now have three in my family my dad has two that work up at a farm with him been stealing them for months and working with a protection sports group in my area LOVE LOVE LOVE this breed yes even in the temper tantrum melt down demonic running around like a cracked out two year old moments lol just got my own seven week puppy can't wait to see him grow.

Re: How to locate a breeder

Post by shana »

You could check out local clubs in your area talk to some of the trainers and competatiers about what you are searching for. They should be able to help you find a good match up with someone in your area and while your waiting for your new puppy you can go and watch. Dutches are very different in the way that they work than a GSD and also in the way that they learn cuz there drive is so off the wall generally speaking. Sometimes you will get a laid back dutch which still requires a lot of time and work. But watching them work and getting familar with the lines will help you to narrow down what t is you are really looking for. The more specific you can get the better it will be for you :) good luck in finding your pup coming from someone who had to wait months for there pup it was well worth the wait and working with my group gave me an awesome support system and also a ton of knowledge to better prepare me for what I was getting into. It's well worth the time and effort :)
Mark77
Training Dog
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:19 am
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: How to locate a breeder

Post by Mark77 »

I got mine from Land of Oz K9 and my other one from Mace's Malinois. Both are exceptional dogs and have unique personalities, very personable, love people, and were fast learners. It's a lot of fun owning them because they greet every new experience with absolute enthusiasm.
Texas Dog 81
Just Whelped
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a pretty active guy that enjoys having canine companions with me. I have an 8 year old female GSD and a 12 year old half lab half golden male.

Re: How to locate a breeder

Post by Texas Dog 81 »

Thanks Shana, I've been in contact with a few clubs and am waiting to hear back. It's great advice and my plan is to spend as much time around different dutchies as possible to get a really good feel.

Mark thanks for the referrals. I had heard of the first breeder but not the second. If you have thoughts about which you'd recommend feel free to back channel me or you may have liked them both equally.

Thanks again everyone.
- Zane
Post Reply