Page 1 of 1

What type of collar???

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:05 pm
by karenz
I have been looking online all morning for a new collar for Xander. Now that I think his neck is about finished growing I want to get him a nice leather collar. In the process of looking I saw some leather choke collars. Right now I use a choke chain. I don't really like the metal chain and thought about ordering a leather one. I don't feel he needs a pinch collar. He does not require something that hard. Can anyone give me a suggestion on leather choke collars? Width? Length? I measured the regular collar he wears all the time and it is almost 20" around. Do they work as good or better than metal? I had read awhile back about a dominant dog collar. Is that the same thing? If not which would be better?

Re: What type of collar???

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:17 pm
by Raven
If memory serves, a dominant dog collar serves the purpose of zapping the air out of a dog. If your guy doesn't need a prong, he wouldn't need a dominant one. I never do choke collars, so can't speak to those.

Re: What type of collar???

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:53 pm
by Dutchringgirl
I dont know anything about Dominant dog collars, sorry. I am a fan of prong and thats all I use when I need control, Or they are on flat collars and harnesses.

Re: What type of collar???

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:25 pm
by alspyce
Dominant dog collars are made with a floating ring and snap that hooks to it. They are made to sit just under the ears - high on the neck. You need to measure for a correct fit.

Re: What type of collar???

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:09 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Oh, I have seen that type of collar, had no idea.

Re: What type of collar???

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:34 pm
by dogbyte
if not for leaving on the dog, as i would not ever leave anything other than a buckle type, i love the nylon martingale type collar. A little control with out too much. My dutch and my rescue GSD use those except for training. LIke walks and going to and from the vehicle. My older GSD is a combo micro pinch and martingale.. Leerburg has a really nice wide one that Rossi uses. My others are just nylon webbing purchased from various places...never leave choke,pinch,martingale collars on..i also won't leave any collar on when dogs are loose together. Had a GSD that was to be in one of my training classes that couldn't come as she almost died when the lab got it's lower jaw stuck in it's buckle on collar when the 2 were playing. Luckily the owners were able to get them apart, but the GSD suffered alot of damage to her neck....just an fyi

Re: What type of collar???

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:49 pm
by karenz
Dogbyte: I never leave any collar on him except his regular buckle collar. I was just looking something with a little extra control for walks, going places like the vet, pet store, and out in public. He definitely doesn't need anything harsh. It's more of a just in case kind of thing. I think the martingale is what I was trying to describe in my post. It is a flat leather or nylon collar with a chain and loop. It looks like it would work similar to a choke chain. I just really don't like the choke chains. I think I will give the martingale a try. Thanks

Re: What type of collar???

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:52 am
by LyonsFamily
I really don't see a difference between a regular nylon slip collar and the dominant collar as far a performance. The dominant dog collar only cuts off air if that's the handler's intent with a correction, or when the dog lunges and self corrects. You'll get the same thing with a plain slip collar and any type of correction collar is supposed to be worn high up on the neck.

If I'm looking for an easy slip to transport a dog, bring it out to the agility ring, or move a non-leash trained kennel dog, I usually just use a collar/slip leash combo so I'm not dealing with multiple collars. I modified one of my leather leashes recently to make the end look like a dominant dog collar, and it works great for what I need it to. I took a metal ring off of a cheap vet slip lead and slid it down the leash and just clipped the end to it.
dog-collar.jpg
dog-collar.jpg (364.72 KiB) Viewed 4408 times

Re: What type of collar???

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:26 am
by Owned-By-Hendrix
We use a fursaver for H. He slips through almost every buckle collar so he uses the fursaver for anytime we leave the house. Same action as a choke but doesn't break off the hair creating that line. Seems he almost prefers it to his buckle collar now.

I sometimes shop Etsy for nice leather collars... I can't remember the one site I liked besides amazon for just basic leather collars.