Protecting
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Protecting
I was so proud of Xander today. He took a ride with me and when we stopped at an intersection a homeless guy was sitting on the curb. As soon as the guy stood up Xander went in protect mode. He started barking and growling. As the guy started to walk up I told Xander "get em". I know this was mean but I have dealt with this guy many times and all he wants is money for booze. So.... Xander kept barking and growling. The guy got about 15 feet from my car and turned around and headed back to the curb. I told Xander "enough" and he stopped barking and sat down and just watched. He listened so good and did what he was supposed to do. I was so proud. Sorry if this sounds mean but.....
Karen & Xander
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: Protecting
good Xander!
you could rent him out to New Yorkers.
you could rent him out to New Yorkers.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: Protecting
Haha. I don't know about new york. But he did a good job here. This is our routine at home which he always does well. It's the usual, he knows someone is there before I do, HD barks and growls, I say get em, more barks and growls. We see who is there and I say enough it's just so and so enough and he stops and lays down. But this was our first time away from home that he did the same thing. And I wouldn't have noticed that the guy had started walking up if he hadn't started barking. I was just so proud and impressed. But new York... I don't know...
Karen & Xander
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Protecting
The thing I liked about your scenario is that he stopped when you said "Enough." Not just b/c how important that is, but it was out of context for him (out in public in the car vs. in the house).
I could never give a command to my guy to encourage that reaction. Our work has been the opposite: to alert me is fine, but then stand down. If I did what you did, I'd have a DS trying to break out the windows.
I could never give a command to my guy to encourage that reaction. Our work has been the opposite: to alert me is fine, but then stand down. If I did what you did, I'd have a DS trying to break out the windows.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: Protecting
Raven that's what made me so proud because it was away from home and he still did as I told him. And luckily he didnt break out my car window. Lol. But he knows the get em command is to bark and growl and that is it. And he knows enough means to stop. I was just so excited that he remembered that in a different environment.
Karen & Xander
- DanLu5
- Puppy
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a long time dog enthusiast but first time Dutch Shepherd owner. Logan is a KNPV bred Dutch Shepherd and great grandson of the great Arko Kikkert. He's by far the most demanding dog I've ever had but also by far the most rewarding.
- Location: Ottawa, ON
Re: Protecting
Amazing! Logan has the first half down pat but the stopping part... not so much...
But we're working on it. How old is Zander?
But we're working on it. How old is Zander?
DND & Lohgs, ON
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: Protecting
Xander is a year and a month. But we have been working on this since he was about 4 months old. I would have friends and family come to the door and knock. He automatically started barking and growling. I would say get em and let him bark for a few more seconds. Then I would tell him enough and distract him with a yummy treat. He would stop barking to get the treat. It just developed from there and now all I have to do is say enough.
Karen & Xander
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Protecting
That's a free and automatic download in their DNA.DanLu5 wrote:Logan has the first half down pat
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- DanLu5
- Puppy
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a long time dog enthusiast but first time Dutch Shepherd owner. Logan is a KNPV bred Dutch Shepherd and great grandson of the great Arko Kikkert. He's by far the most demanding dog I've ever had but also by far the most rewarding.
- Location: Ottawa, ON
Re: Protecting
That's a free and automatic download in their DNA.
[/quote]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no kidding!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no kidding!!!
DND & Lohgs, ON
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Protecting
that is great ! Mean? No comment
Thalie knows to bark on command and to stop on command. If I see anyone shady coming close I give the bark command and she is happy to comply
Thalie knows to bark on command and to stop on command. If I see anyone shady coming close I give the bark command and she is happy to comply

Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT






Facebook page.