I won!!!

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

I won!!!

Post by karenz »

So I have been working with Xander on wearing a muzzle for his vet visits. I watched the leerburg video about introducing the muzzle. He did great... until I got to the point I was trying to buckle it on. He would pull his head away expecting a treat. I was getting frustrated. I tried holding the treat on the outside so he would keep his head in but he just pulled out. He was smart enough to know the treat was on the outside. Then I tried to put a tiny treat inside and buckle but he either got the treat and pulled out before I could buckle or the treat fell through. Soooooo..... I took a basting brush and basted a tiny bit of bacon grease on the inside of the tip of the muzzle. I win... the first time I think I truly outsmarted my dog. Success.... vet here we come
Karen & Xander
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: I won!!!

Post by karenz »

Notice the licking motion in the first pic. It worked. Adapt improvise, and overcome. It seems close to his eyes but is also right up against his snout. It's the first time I was able to buckle it so I will have to do some adjusting.
Attachments
img20140829_184906.jpg
img20140829_184906.jpg (194.84 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
img20140829_184842.jpg
img20140829_184842.jpg (181.2 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
Karen & Xander
User avatar
Revhendo
Green Dog
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm
Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....

Kevin

Re: I won!!!

Post by Revhendo »

Oh sure, it works for now, just wait till you hear the cybermen's "Update in progress".....

Kidding, good job on a solution to a dilemma..
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: I won!!!

Post by johninny »

Congratulations and thank you! -- i have looked at the photos 3 times now and every time i laugh out loud.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: I won!!!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now remember to put the muzzle on when you are just hanging around and not doing anything so he dosnt associate the muzzle with anything anxiety related.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: I won!!!

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Bacon grease for the win!!!!! Love the idea. Brilliant.

I've used Cloud Star Tricky Trainer treats for muzzle introductions because they're small enough to fit into the muzzle hole. And I can squish them flat if needed too. But I love the bacon grease idea!!!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: I won!!!

Post by karenz »

Me and Xander went back to a puppy school class tonight for a visit. He wore his muzzle like a champ. He is getting use to it and doesn't seem to mind it all, even though we all picked on him and called him Hannibal.
Karen & Xander
Post Reply