Hi gang....!
Sorry I have not been on board...been busy like everyone else with our Dutchies and life.
I have applied and been accepted with Doctors WIthout Borders to head to Liberia to help with the
Ebola out break. I am awaiting, this week, to find my departure date for Liberia.
It could be next week or a month-I won't know till the end of the week. Vrijheids "Our Ninja Taki" is 16 months old and I need advice what I should do while I am gone as my wife is not home often and Taki gets very lonely when we are not together. I guess I am looking for someone to watch(or hire) her for me while I am gone 1-3 months. She is great with dogs , people (a super lover)..Housebroken and just a velcro sweetheart. Sadly my wife is o busy and gone all the time I think she would do better in a home with other Dutchies and someone home all the time.
In the very remote chance I don't return she would obviously become your Taki.
This is a real heartbreaker to leave her even for an hour-but this Ebola crisis really needs to be put down fast as the possible death count could reach 1 million plus as it hits Monrovia Liberia and Free Town Sierra leone.
She is the love of my life but this higher calling to help these people in Africa eclipses everything.
I live in SC near Augusta GA so some one in Charlotte, Atlanta, etc would be ideal and I would bring her up.
Thanks so much and I hope you guys/gals don't think me cruel by leaving her but I don't know a better group of folks to ask for advice.
Regards......Greg and Taki
Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.
- MaliNut
- Puppy
- Posts: 45
- Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Well...it's a transition really. Had my final GSD from 1996 to 2009-she's over the Rainbow Bridge now); then moved over to Belgian Mals. Now I've DS fever looking to get SH silver brindle sib(in my dreams) for my 5 yo Male Mal Razor!
Thanks for having me onboard-I am here to learn all I can about Dutch SHepherds...although after 3.5 yrs of Mals I still wonder if I am really ever going to figure it out!
Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.
Vrijheid's "Our Ninja TAKI"- Dutch Shepherd born 5/15/13-1 Yr old!!!
Razor"...5 yr old Belgian Malinois -RIP my son; 12/13/13
Razor"...5 yr old Belgian Malinois -RIP my son; 12/13/13
- cake73
- Moderator

- Posts: 331
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.
- Contact:
Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.
Fingers and paws crossed that you're able to return, Greg!
Have you considered getting in touch with Taki's breeder for suggestions regarding a temporary home for your girl?
Alternatively, you could send a message to the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and see if they have any suggestions or know of anyone in the area who might be able to help you out.
Have you considered getting in touch with Taki's breeder for suggestions regarding a temporary home for your girl?
Alternatively, you could send a message to the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and see if they have any suggestions or know of anyone in the area who might be able to help you out.
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015
North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015
North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.
I wish I could help...I am maxed out. 
And ps...bless you for what you are doing.
And ps...bless you for what you are doing.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
- Owned-By-Hendrix
- Training Dog
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
- Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.
Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.
I would take her but I'm in TX and don't have H to test her with...
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
-
debmac
- Puppy
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a 2 year old Dutch Shepherd rescue, Tess. She is my first Dutchie. I have always had German Shepherds and have trained and worked them as search and rescue dogs. My hope is that Tess will take this road also
- Location: Anamoose, ND
Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.
Greg,
I wish I could help you myself. I admire your ability to go and help in this crisis. I have sent a good friend your request. He is an experienced foster, but lives in the Minneapolis area. Don't know if this would be too far? He would be a wonderful temporary solution till you return home. He's a retired canine officer and is home all the time.
Deb
I wish I could help you myself. I admire your ability to go and help in this crisis. I have sent a good friend your request. He is an experienced foster, but lives in the Minneapolis area. Don't know if this would be too far? He would be a wonderful temporary solution till you return home. He's a retired canine officer and is home all the time.
Deb
Deb McAvoy
Tess- DS
Echo- GSD
Rowdy - BC/BH
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tess- DS
Echo- GSD
Rowdy - BC/BH
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

-
MNRandy
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm retired and live with with my wife and two German Shepherds.
We've fostered several Dutch Shepherds and are hoping to add a permanent Dutch Shepherd very soon.
Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.
I'm Deb's friend, Randy. I'll pm you my contact info, but my wife and I live in southern Minnesota and we're willing to take care of your dog while you're gone.
-
dogbyte
- Puppy
- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have been owned by German Shepherd Dogs for over 20 years. I have come to the dark side with my first Dutch Shepherd. Rossi is an almost 11 month old female from Land of Oz kennel. I have a 10 year old GSD and an 8 year old.
Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.
have you contacted her breeder?
cathy,jaden,gracie & rossi with xara, chance and zoey forever snuggled deep inside my heart


Facebook page.