Page 1 of 1

Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:41 pm
by MaliNut
IMAG0670.jpg
IMAG0670.jpg (132.63 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
Hi gang....!

Sorry I have not been on board...been busy like everyone else with our Dutchies and life.
I have applied and been accepted with Doctors WIthout Borders to head to Liberia to help with the
Ebola out break. I am awaiting, this week, to find my departure date for Liberia.

It could be next week or a month-I won't know till the end of the week. Vrijheids "Our Ninja Taki" is 16 months old and I need advice what I should do while I am gone as my wife is not home often and Taki gets very lonely when we are not together. I guess I am looking for someone to watch(or hire) her for me while I am gone 1-3 months. She is great with dogs , people (a super lover)..Housebroken and just a velcro sweetheart. Sadly my wife is o busy and gone all the time I think she would do better in a home with other Dutchies and someone home all the time.

In the very remote chance I don't return she would obviously become your Taki.

This is a real heartbreaker to leave her even for an hour-but this Ebola crisis really needs to be put down fast as the possible death count could reach 1 million plus as it hits Monrovia Liberia and Free Town Sierra leone.

She is the love of my life but this higher calling to help these people in Africa eclipses everything.

I live in SC near Augusta GA so some one in Charlotte, Atlanta, etc would be ideal and I would bring her up.

Thanks so much and I hope you guys/gals don't think me cruel by leaving her but I don't know a better group of folks to ask for advice.

Regards......Greg and Taki

Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:50 pm
by cake73
Fingers and paws crossed that you're able to return, Greg!

Have you considered getting in touch with Taki's breeder for suggestions regarding a temporary home for your girl?

Alternatively, you could send a message to the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and see if they have any suggestions or know of anyone in the area who might be able to help you out.

Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:29 pm
by Stacy_R
I wish I could help...I am maxed out. :(

And ps...bless you for what you are doing.

Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:45 am
by Owned-By-Hendrix
I would take her but I'm in TX and don't have H to test her with...

Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:08 pm
by debmac
Greg,
I wish I could help you myself. I admire your ability to go and help in this crisis. I have sent a good friend your request. He is an experienced foster, but lives in the Minneapolis area. Don't know if this would be too far? He would be a wonderful temporary solution till you return home. He's a retired canine officer and is home all the time.

Deb

Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:32 pm
by MNRandy
I'm Deb's friend, Randy. I'll pm you my contact info, but my wife and I live in southern Minnesota and we're willing to take care of your dog while you're gone.

Re: Headed to W. Africa...need a backup plan for my Taki.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:47 pm
by dogbyte
have you contacted her breeder?