I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by Raven »

I only kept carpeting so Thor could ram-rod up and down the hall when he couldn't run outside b/c of ice, mud, high humidity, etc., and at night when it's too dark. Couple weeks ago, we did another leg of the remodel and all carpeting is gone. No more hallway to let him blow off bits of steam. No worries because....

Weather's been GREAT! Perfect fall weather. Dry and cool. I'm out running him throughout the day till his tongue drags and he can't breathe. Awesome. Until....

He cut his pad. He was good for a few days of laying low, but he stored up a lot of energy and today he's ready to kick some ass, and his foot seems healed enough, but....

It's raining so freakin' hard out I can barely see across the road and the backyard (a swamp) is pure mud.

We're both kind of bored with all his indoor mental exercises, so today I have to turn the brain on to figure out new stuff. And I'm :duh: . I'm pretty sure the only things he doesn't do is make coffee, the bed, play games on the computer and do the dishes.

It might be a very long fall and winter.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by Mobil »

It rained almost all day yesterday here, too. And they positively adore mud. I've given up on mopping.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
User avatar
karenz
Training Dog
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
Location: NC

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by karenz »

I know the feeling. That explains my dirty dog post. I just sucked it up and we played in the swamp. Xander was getting bored of indoor games too.
Karen & Xander
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by johninny »

re carpet comment, for the same reasons for TraceDog i installed cork plank flooring [ not thin tiles that are glued ] throughout my house so that it would forgive falls AND he could get grip. it was perfect on both counts. soft feel to walk on for me, too, but cleaned/maintained like a hardwood floor. if i get the chance, i want to do cork again for the current family. highly recommend the stuff [especially the whitish corks for looks].

every time it rains here the dogs go a bit nuts inside. no cork here. Tracer and Xander could really use cork as they really chase each other like mad, but i hesitate to think how it would affect their tugs-of-war - and how their tugs would affect it!

edit: cork also has anti-microbial activity and resists mold better than anything than stone or metal but has no grout to get mold. and the smell is glorious and very calming.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by HeatherH »

Yep I can relate

First we are always renovating. Old house are charming til you see the update bill and dryway dust gets into everything.

I hate carpeting but its a bit of sound proofing and warmer for Dutch.

I'm now starting to think of indoor games. In, out, up, around, down and through is my next order of business.

Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

do you have a basement? I have wood floors but I have bath runners everywhere for Sadie so she dosnt slip. When they are pumped and cant go outside, Ill take them in the basement to play
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by Raven »

The cork sounds wonderful! Too late.... :cry:

No basement. I'm on a slab foundation because the house was built in a swamp. YEE-HAW!

The contractor came up with a great way to gerry-rig the hallway so we could secure a runner that Thor couldn't budge--and we'd have been able to replace it once he'd torn through it...but man...it would not have looked good.

How the heck do bath mats keep Sadie from slipping??? She and the rug must go VROOOOOM!

Glad I posted, because all the comments made me think of something I hadn't thought of before. I'm thinking about those industrial-thick rubber mats...a loooong one....They must make those these days with home decor in mind. (I can't sacrifice looks anymore--I've waited far too many years for this last remodel.)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The bath mats work great !!! They have a rubbery bottom. I have them all over the place ! They are easy to throw in the wash too so my house dosnt smell too much like doggie. Most runners have sucky rubber bottoms or non at all.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by Mobil »

Raven wrote: I'm thinking about those industrial-thick rubber mats...a loooong one....They must make those these days with home decor in mind. (I can't sacrifice looks anymore--I've waited far too many years for this last remodel.)
I bet you could special order one from a commercial mat company.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Image
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by johninny »

i still have sales folders from commercial and industrial rubber mat and floor companies if anyone needs info.

and yes, the cork planks [ 12''x36''x 5/8''thick ] are incredible: so beautiful, always warm to the touch, sound absorbing, shock absorbing, anti'microbial, etc, etc, etc. and not expensive. install over existing hardwood, tile, or linoleum - click together, no glue, no tacks or nails, no grout - just secure at edges under baseboard
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by LyonsFamily »

I have a 20ft industrial mat in my garage/training room to practice recall and jumps on. We have epoxy floors and the thing is great. I got mine 2nd hand from an auto auction for free. You may check craigslist.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I like the long mat idea for the winter! We tried carpet runners which failed epically. H doesn't do too bad on the tile we have but keeping the (white-ish) carpet clean is a real chore.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by Raven »

Thanks, all!

Definitely going the industrial-thick rubber mats--hopefully with carpeting. May have to do two or three since the length of those I've seen online are short when I want a two-foot width.

My poor boy's pad took a turn--not badly, just a hard spot to heal well quickly--when he got overly exuberant when Dad came home and he mistakenly thought his dad was going to take him for ride. (You could see blood on the floor go from specks to spots, and then pooled when I put him in a down. Still applying coconut oil and keeping him in the down-low, the latter of which makes him even more :eek: about mental stim. :lol: )

Again...thank you everyone!
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: I'm Sure Everyone Can Relate!

Post by Stacy_R »

I don't know how long & wide your hallway is, but you can check into stall mats as well.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Post Reply