Prong Collar Hair Question
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Prong Collar Hair Question
Soooo. I got Xander a prong collar....again. He is actually doing way better with it this time. Last time he fought it tooth and nail and it amped him up like crazy. So far he is responding well to it. Until...I take it off and his beautiful fuzzy hairs get caught in it when I take it off. I've heard people mention fur savers. Is this by any chance something that slides over it so it doesn't pull his hair? I Googled pics of prong collar fur saver but it only showed a chain link type collar. Is there something I can slide over the prong collar to keep his hair from getting hung?
Karen & Xander
-
Mobil
- Training Dog
- Posts: 528
- Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
I've seen prongs which have rubber coated tips on. them, but i think a fur saver collar is just a wider chain choke.
What kind of prong do you have? Do you have to put it over his head? Mine has a clip release, so when I info the clip, it just falls away from the neck.
edited to add pic:

What kind of prong do you have? Do you have to put it over his head? Mine has a clip release, so when I info the clip, it just falls away from the neck.
edited to add pic:

Last edited by Mobil on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
Mobil: it does slide over which is fine. Whether it slides over or unbuckles his hair gets hung in the joints and pulls. I have a cover that I use on my horse's cribbing strap that I may try. It velcros around the top of her cribbing strap to keep her hair from rubbing off. I don't think it will matter if it reduces the pinch a little. All I have to do is literally "jiggle" the leash a little with the leash and he responds. So sensitive. I may have to give a little harder jiggle with the cover but it may work.
Karen & Xander
-
dogbyte
- Puppy
- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have been owned by German Shepherd Dogs for over 20 years. I have come to the dark side with my first Dutch Shepherd. Rossi is an almost 11 month old female from Land of Oz kennel. I have a 10 year old GSD and an 8 year old.
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
never slide a prong collar over the dog's head...unhook the links...I have a plastic version from Triple Crown that does not hang up in the hair...but as with a regular prong i always have a regular martingale collar hooked to the lead in case the collar comes undone..which can happen
cathy,jaden,gracie & rossi with xara, chance and zoey forever snuggled deep inside my heart
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
Lesson learned. I will unhook it instead of sliding it over. But either way.... once I pull it over or if I were to unhook it his crazy hair is caught. I will look into the plastic version but if the concept is the same but plastic I have a feeling his hair will still get hung in the links. I do have a martingale that I hook as well for backup. It is fine and doesn't get hung.dogbyte wrote:never slide a prong collar over the dog's head...unhook the links...I have a plastic version from Triple Crown that does not hang up in the hair...but as with a regular prong i always have a regular martingale collar hooked to the lead in case the collar comes undone..which can happen
Karen & Xander
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
Ditto that. If your prong is loose enough to slide over his head, it's too big...remove some links. This may be part of your problem with the hair. If it's too loose, it is probably sliding around on his neck and getting tangled.dogbyte wrote:never slide a prong collar over the dog's head...unhook the links...
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
- Owned-By-Hendrix
- Training Dog
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
- Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
There's a company run by Katrina Williams that just started making paracord covered prong collars that may work. I think she's online and on FB - look for Psycollars. See how he does without a few links first. Is the hair getting caught in the joints?
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
The collar is too loose. The hair shouldn't even have a chance to get caught in it if it is tight enough and it should be popping right off when you unhook a link. I don't like those quick release prongs. They fail too often. I would replace the quick release with a screw on carabiner type that the dog can't accidentally pop open. Either way, the dog should also be on a slip collar back up or have a back up cord to the regular collar in case it pops off.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
ive been using prongs for ever and never had a fur problem. Like the others said, unclip the prongs and let it fall off.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




-
dogbyte
- Puppy
- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have been owned by German Shepherd Dogs for over 20 years. I have come to the dark side with my first Dutch Shepherd. Rossi is an almost 11 month old female from Land of Oz kennel. I have a 10 year old GSD and an 8 year old.
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
My big GSD uses a micro prong..It is on correctly, tight up high on his neck..Because of his thick coat, it still "hangs" in his coat when i take it off..I just "peel" it off..so to speak...
cathy,jaden,gracie & rossi with xara, chance and zoey forever snuggled deep inside my heart
- karenz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 am
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.
- Location: NC
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
This is the collar I have. It unbuckles to slide over then buckles to make it the right tightness. Once buckled in fits snug. I can undo the links and put it on that way as well. It seems his hair is getting hung in the joints. Xander has very long hair on his neck and alot of it is very fine fuzzy hairs. (Photo included). I'm sure if he was a normal haired ds it would work perfectly. I even put it on my dad's ds who has short hair and it worked perfectly. I think it's just an issue because of Xander's long hair. That's why I was thinking about a cover for it.
- Attachments
-
- img20141027_090949.jpg (227.83 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
-
- img20141027_090437.jpg (376.88 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
Karen & Xander
- Owned-By-Hendrix
- Training Dog
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
- Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.
Re: Prong Collar Hair Question
Do you know how wide the links are? Maybe going up or down in link size would help. A smaller prong is more effective with plush coats I was told by a lady who owned a lot of GS. H's prong links are a bit smaller than what he should be wearing but it works for him.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)


Facebook page.