Need help with crates...

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
Sarahk
Just Whelped
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm
Tell us about yourself: Looking to get a DS in the near future.

Need help with crates...

Post by Sarahk »

The current dog crate I have now is not very strong... But my bird dog doesn't ever try to get out so it does it's job. When we get our DS I feel I need to get a sturdier one for the new pup. What do you all think? Any durable crates you have used that held up against a DS trying to escape?

Or... Do you think I should get a normal wire crate first and see if they manage to get through it?
Sarah and Stig (VT)
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Need help with crates...

Post by icvanstra »

During the very early puppy stages Cino was in a hard plastic crate. Later I moved him to a wire crate and I'm paying for it now.

He wore grooves into his canines from gnawing on the wire.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: Need help with crates...

Post by Stacy_R »

I used a sturdy plastic crate first and then moved to a wire crate. I am fortunate and haven't had any issues with him chewing on the crate. Destroying beds..yes, crate chewing...no...thank goodness.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Need help with crates...

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I used the plastic crate the breeder sent for a while before switching to a wire crate. No chewing issues yet…

I do think the kind of better crates are the Vari-kennels… There's been talk about the better crates all over this forum, so I would do a search and see what you can find. I know there's been a lot who recommend what crates not to buy.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Sarahk
Just Whelped
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm
Tell us about yourself: Looking to get a DS in the near future.

Re: Need help with crates...

Post by Sarahk »

Thank you... I tried a search but there were pages upon pages referring to crates, but I could not find anything that said which brands were better than others.
Sarah and Stig (VT)
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Need help with crates...

Post by icvanstra »

I think that if you go with Vari-kennel you are going to do well. I have Pet-Mate crates and I'm happy with them.

If you have a Dutch Shepherd that is going to break out of a Vari-Kennel then you likely have some issues with dot that needs to be dealt with.

Proper crate training is critical no matter what kind of crate you get.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Post Reply