The current dog crate I have now is not very strong... But my bird dog doesn't ever try to get out so it does it's job. When we get our DS I feel I need to get a sturdier one for the new pup. What do you all think? Any durable crates you have used that held up against a DS trying to escape?
Or... Do you think I should get a normal wire crate first and see if they manage to get through it?
Need help with crates...
-
Sarahk
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Looking to get a DS in the near future.
Need help with crates...
Sarah and Stig (VT)
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Need help with crates...
During the very early puppy stages Cino was in a hard plastic crate. Later I moved him to a wire crate and I'm paying for it now.
He wore grooves into his canines from gnawing on the wire.
He wore grooves into his canines from gnawing on the wire.
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: Need help with crates...
I used a sturdy plastic crate first and then moved to a wire crate. I am fortunate and haven't had any issues with him chewing on the crate. Destroying beds..yes, crate chewing...no...thank goodness.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
- Owned-By-Hendrix
- Training Dog
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
- Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.
Re: Need help with crates...
I used the plastic crate the breeder sent for a while before switching to a wire crate. No chewing issues yet…
I do think the kind of better crates are the Vari-kennels… There's been talk about the better crates all over this forum, so I would do a search and see what you can find. I know there's been a lot who recommend what crates not to buy.
I do think the kind of better crates are the Vari-kennels… There's been talk about the better crates all over this forum, so I would do a search and see what you can find. I know there's been a lot who recommend what crates not to buy.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
-
Sarahk
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Looking to get a DS in the near future.
Re: Need help with crates...
Thank you... I tried a search but there were pages upon pages referring to crates, but I could not find anything that said which brands were better than others.
Sarah and Stig (VT)
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Need help with crates...
I think that if you go with Vari-kennel you are going to do well. I have Pet-Mate crates and I'm happy with them.
If you have a Dutch Shepherd that is going to break out of a Vari-Kennel then you likely have some issues with dot that needs to be dealt with.
Proper crate training is critical no matter what kind of crate you get.
If you have a Dutch Shepherd that is going to break out of a Vari-Kennel then you likely have some issues with dot that needs to be dealt with.
Proper crate training is critical no matter what kind of crate you get.
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)


Facebook page.